If you kept sps under T5z, what was your experience?

• I have kept sps under t5z successfuly.

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • I have kept sps under t5z, BAD IDEA!!!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I think its possible. Never tried it.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • I dont think its possible. NEVER tried it.

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

40 gallon with SPS under T-5 when it first started. i wish i had pics of how it look like after AEFWs took over.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thats hard to judge some longer than others...

i've noticed there is about a 2 month adjustment period when adding frags from a MH tank. They lighten up and usually come back within 2 months...Some adjust quicker than others...Blues usually don't shift at all..

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
thats hard to judge some longer than others...

i've noticed there is about a 2 month adjustment period when adding frags from a MH tank. They lighten up and usually come back within 2 months...Some adjust quicker than others...Blues usually don't shift at all..

But what are we talking about, years - months - weeks - days?

(I am not trying to be argumentative, as I don't really have a position on this issue- it just that I have never seen a picture of a gorgeous, well grown out, mature SPS tank that is using T5s)

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
But what are we talking about, years - months - weeks - days?

(I am not trying to be argumentative, as I don't really have a position on this issue- it just that I have never seen a picture of a gorgeous, well grown out, mature SPS tank that is using T5s)

did you not read the post you quoted lol? i said 2 months IME.

there are several tanks i have seen w/ exceptional color w/ T5 most of them not in the U.S.

i think the reason you don't see many is T5 use in SPS tanks is a new concept in the U.S. There are still people who think they are not bright enough to grow SPS. It takes a few years to grow out a mature SPS tank. Using MH has been done for years so of course you are going to see alot of spectacular MH tanks.

But you will also see MH tanks that look like crap. Lighting is only a small part of a formula to get good color. But people are quick to blame the lighting when the color problems could stem from a number of things.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
did you not read the post you quoted lol? i said 2 months IME.

there are several tanks i have seen w/ exceptional color w/ T5 most of them not in the U.S.

i think the reason you don't see many is T5 use in SPS tanks is a new concept in the U.S. There are still people who think they are not bright enough to grow SPS. It takes a few years to grow out a mature SPS tank. Using MH has been done for years so of course you are going to see alot of spectacular MH tanks.

But you will also see MH tanks that look like crap. Lighting is only a small part of a formula to get good color. But people are quick to blame the lighting when the color problems could stem from a number of things.

Sorry, I read your post to mean that it takes two months for the SPS to adjust to T5, when switching from MH. What I wanted to know, was how long had the corals been under T5s when the pictures where taken.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry, I read your post to mean that it takes two months for the SPS to adjust to T5, when switching from MH. What I wanted to know, was how long had the corals been under T5s when the pictures where taken.

that was the question no?

basically what i am saying is some corals i get from MH users lighten but usually come back within 2 months...

the blues and purples never seem to be effected by the change...Montis always look great but they are too easy so we won't consider them.

IME, the greens and reds take the longest to adjust..But they have been coming back for me

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
that was the question no?

basically what i am saying is some corals i get from MH users lighten but usually come back within 2 months...

the blues and purples never seem to be effected by the change...Montis always look great but they are too easy so we won't consider them.

IME, the greens and reds take the longest to adjust..But they have been coming back for me

:signoops:..... we are definitley getting our wires crossed.

When you took the picture. How long had those corals been under T5 lights. i.e does that picture show corals that have been under T5 for a week... a month.... a year ..... etc etc.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ok i dont have alot of photos w/ me but this one had been in for about 4 months....Started as a frag and paled out for about 2 months then started to color back up pretty nicely.

yellowmillemacroweb.jpg

yellowmilleISO100Av16.jpg

that was taken in january i will try to take another pic tonight to show you how far it has come in almost two months.

Last edited:

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

Is there any 1 else who has any experience with sps and t5z...
Guys y dont u mention 1st how much watts and which lights u use..

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ok i took another pic of the same coral tonight and i checked the date on those original pics...I didn't realize it was this much growth until i looked at both pics together...The color looks a little worse in tonights pic because my tank is still recovering from a week ago when Everything faded overnight after adding GFO. I have a thread about it..

Pic Taken 12/27/2006
yellowmilleISO100Av16.jpg

Pic Taken 02/27/2007
millemacro.jpg

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
sarmentosa.jpg

green w/ orange tip A. Sarmentosa...

It's my only wild colony, looked pretty crappy when i got it but now it's coloring up and growing pretty well. It looks better every day, however, im sticking to strictly aquacultured stuff from now on. Been in my tank 3 months.

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

Wes thank u for ur participation, keep us posted on the growth....
I am taking pic of my sps and will post the growth in about 2 weeks.:division:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: