• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ReefNut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
hi all,
I've been trying to find out why 3/4 of my zoanthids are closed up 3-4 weeks now.all water parameters good.Ph 8.2-4,dkh 8.0,cal 420,phos 0,nitrate 0
I was cleaning a filter sock tonight and found an ugly but familiar looking critter in it.I ID'D from Melev's site
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/
'predatory zoanthid spider'
Anybody ever deal with this?
Quarentine is out of the picture,are there any natural remedies or predators?
I know I need to do more research but I figured I start here.
Thanks

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i have found one in an old tank of mine(nano) but then it crashed while i was away from heat(timer stuck on)

i would look into zoo dip and manual removal

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
These guys may look familiar than...still not sure I got em all but fresh water dips have made them easier to pluck.

id-this.jpg

ReefNut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
That looks like them.I have alot of rockwork and zoanthids growing all over.I would have to totally dismantle everything to dip all.
Any other ideas or sugestions.

ReefNut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I see these things all over.Ranging in size from 1/4" to just about invisible.
From what I've read so far I'm pretty much screwed!!
Even if I could do a dip,The rest of the tank is infested.

FREEZE

colonist
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
dont know of any natural predators that work. you must remove the nudis from the tank. best time to catch them is at night with a flashlight, sometimes you'll see them on glass. I used a magnifying glass, lol. Use a turkey baster and suck them out and into a container or whatever. keep doing this until you get rid of them. Oh, and look for the eggs - they reproduce like crazy. you have to cut off the zoas that have strands of eggs on there stalks or you'll never get rid of them. search the forums for nudi and you'll find good pics of nudis and their eggs. good luck. these guys can wipe out a lot of zoa colonies if you let them go.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: