Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Those are nice! I asssume Red Octo is non-photosynthetic?

PS: beautiful ribbon eel.

Yes the Red Octo is non-photosynthetic. It has been doing great. when I purchased it it had a small branch that was bare and it has completely grown in since I purchased it. It is not one of the Gorgs that I have had over a year though. So stay tuned. I think I've had the Red-Octo for maybe two months.

Thanks for the Kudos on the Ribbon Eel. I actually have two. They are great but time consuming to keep them eating healthily.

Your tank is awesome BTW!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
thanks. :)

My non-phot. gorgonian slowly wasted away to nothing. First my wrasse broke a bunch of branches off, so I went from one big piece to about twelve little pieces. Then I had problems with algae building up on the branches, even though it was in an area of good flow. then I went out of town and that was the death knell. It's too bad because the non-phot. corals have SUCH beautiful colors. Oh well! :)

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I had a yellow finger gorgonian that I fed cyclopeez every day. The non-phot. gorgonians can pick up larger food packets than people tend to think. I used to see mine grab little bits of mysis as well.

Do you feed phyto or do you just rely on your other food sources?

Dom - of the ones you've got pictures, which ones are non-phot.?

I don't use phyto but I did use a powder that someone created and asked for volunteers to use it. I didn't really notice any difference so the short answer is I just rely on my other food sources.

The non-Photosynthetic Gorgs are the Red Octo, The Gorg to the left of the Ribbon Eel (not sure the name) and I have a Blueberry Gorg that is not pictured. The blueberry Gorg is pretty new. I bought it in terrible shape (nearly 98% dead) but wanted to try it as an experiment. So far 4 of its branches have come back in full but it is too early to tell if it is getting healthier.

The Red and Yellow finger Gorgs are tough with the Algae. The small unidentified Gorg I have next to the Ribbon eel is prone to algae growth and I have to use a turkey baster to blow it off. I have done that in the past with a Red Finger as well. It is a PITA but necessary. They like heavy flow but too much consistent heavy flow will ultimately kill them.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Here is some updated pics. Maybe someone can help identify the Gorgs that I can not.

Knobby Sea Rod
Picture086.jpg

Identity?
Picture089.jpg

Identity? This guy grows like crazy. I already have it split into three gorgs. I originally got this from DELMARR
Picture092.jpg

Purple Feather (Bad Pic, Sorry)
Picture094.jpg

Unidentified Sea Whip?
Picture096.jpg

Undidentified? Beauty though
Picture098.jpg

Picture105.jpg

Purple Sea Rod
Picture102.jpg

Purple Plume
Picture108.jpg

Orange Spiny (A little frag too)
Picture110.jpg

Picture109.jpg

Red Octo (Real Name?)
DSCN1844.jpg

Blueberry (Bought Near Dead. Current Experiment)
Picture095.jpg

Some Gorg Lovers
Picture112.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Picture123.jpg

Sponge Lover
Picture118.jpg

Full Tank Shot
Picture115.jpg

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Thanks Randy.

Since I got my Vortech repaired and upgraded, it is the only powerhead running during the day so the flow isn't too bad (lowest setting on pulse). The Koralia's go on at night when the seahorses are at their favorite sleeping spots so it really doesn't affect them. The flow is good for the gorgs but I had it set up that way to help reduce the detritus on the bottom of the tank. The Koralias do an awesome job. There is 4 Koralia 1s (flow doesn't seem to affect the SHs even when they used to be on during the day) and 2 Koralia 2s. The 2s are situated one on each end and closer to the top. They cause the most disturbance but even when they were on during the day, the seahorses were not affected too much. They bothered the Alligator Pipefish more than anything.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Sweet set up!!!
Do any of the fish bother the seahorses?

Not at all. I was most worried about the Octopus but he doesn't bother them either. If anything, the SHs annoy the other fish when they try to latch on to them. Specifically the filefish. I have a video of my dwarf lionfish following around one of my seahorses because he knew I was going to spot feed her and he associated her with a mysis shrimp treat. It is really cool. I'll try and find the video and post it.

212jay

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Not at all. I was most worried about the Octopus but he doesn't bother them either. If anything, the SHs annoy the other fish when they try to latch on to them. Specifically the filefish. I have a video of my dwarf lionfish following around one of my seahorses because he knew I was going to spot feed her and he associated her with a mysis shrimp treat. It is really cool. I'll try and find the video and post it.

Cool I've tried to keep them but my clowns at the time would go after them so I had to get rid of them.
Octopus!!!! wow... how big is it?

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Cool I've tried to keep them but my clowns at the time would go after them so I had to get rid of them.
Octopus!!!! wow... how big is it?

The Octo has about a 2.5" mantle. Here is an older pic:
DSCN1824.jpg

The Octo and Ribbon Eels live in the PVC tunnels I buried in the sand. There is three different entrances / exits. Of course the Octo claimed the one in the middle so he blocked off the the outer two.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
This is an old video when I was having some algae problems (thanks to the members here for helping me rid the situation). Many people get angered at videos like this because they feel the lionfish would harm the SH so I don't recommend this practice.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i121.photobucket.com/player....otobucket.com/albums/o210/Domboski40/SHDL.flv">

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: