Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I was wondering if any members have uncommon gorgonians? If so, What Kind?

I have several Gorgonian species, most of which have been in my position for over a year (some more than two yrs) and about half non-photosynthetic. I even had some that were eaten by Urchins and grew back in no time.

Here is a list of some that I have:

Purple Plume (Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata)
Purple Sea Rod (Pseudoplexaura porosa)
Purple Brush Gorgonian (Muriceopsis flavida)
Knobby Sea Rod (Eunicea succinea)
Orange Sea Rod (Muricea elongata)
Red Octo Gorg (Swiftia exserta)
Blueberry Gorg (don't know scientific name) This is new to my collection

I have several others that I'm not exactly sure what their common or scientific name is. I only have one "seawhip". It is pretty neat. The polyps are red. I never seen one like that before.

If you have some gorgs I don't have I'd like to trade frags if interested. LMK.

I'm also interested if anyone has Ribbon Gorgs? I haven't seen too many nice ones but thought I'd ask.

212jay

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
:dead: without Pics!!!! LOL

Do you have any Pics? I would like to see them.
I have a yellow Gorg, nothing special and looking for a few more.

Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Ooops. Here is a pic of the Red Octo:
DSCN1844.jpg

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am 99% sure that I have a Muriceopsis. I got it at Greenwich Aquaria and it looks like the pictures of those. I thought it would branch, but instead each of the branches I have just keeps getting longer and longer.

There it is on the left side:
2220013618_1b8443947f_o.jpg

Closeup:
1717849394_ce49d2d015.jpg

it looks like you already have this, but I would love a confirmation on my ID. :)

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I am 99% sure that I have a Muriceopsis. I got it at Greenwich Aquaria and it looks like the pictures of those. I thought it would branch, but instead each of the branches I have just keeps getting longer and longer.

There it is on the left side:
2220013618_1b8443947f_o.jpg

Closeup:
1717849394_ce49d2d015.jpg

it looks like you already have this, but I would love a confirmation on my ID. :)

I think you are right on. Beautiful Gorg! How long have you had it?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've had it for about five months. When I got it, it was huge but I've definitely noticed growth. Like I said - no branching, but each of those branches coming off of the central column has gotten longer. When i first got it, it had its polyps out maybe one every few days, but now that it's settled in, it looks great every day. :)

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Dom, What are you feeding the non-photosynthetic Gorgs?
And before people get all excited, I want add the caveat that Dom has an interest, affinity and uncommon ability to keep difficult animals alive.

Thanks for throwing the disclaimer out there for me Randy!

As you know I spend countless hours practicing meticulous feeding rituals. Since I have 8 seahorses in the tank, I feed mysis shrimp 2-3 times a day and some of the Gorgs, especially the Red Octo, snags a bunch of small pieces. I also substitute with Cyclopeeze 2-3 times a week at night only and I try to feed BBS at least 2-3 times a week (I have been slacking with that though). I also have cleaner shrimp that spawn constantly and I believe this is a huge help too.

On top of all of that, I've been suspicious that because I feed frozen fish every other day to the Ribbon eels and the Octo eating crabs and other crustaceans quite often, that I am adding a nice amount of bio organics to the system that contribute to the health of the Gorgs. I did have a flame Scallop for well over a year in that tank too so that also contributed to my thinking.

212jay

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
It's true Green Nepthea, extinct in the wild. Also from greenwich aquaria. the greenish-tinted one next to that is some kind of green sinularia which is often identified at nepthea. it's also nice, and that one is from Vic.

Noice!!!! If you ever frag it let me know I'm very interested in getting a frag.
Great looking tank, I like the colors.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I had a yellow finger gorgonian that I fed cyclopeez every day. The non-phot. gorgonians can pick up larger food packets than people tend to think. I used to see mine grab little bits of mysis as well.

415113473_92bac1981e_o.jpg

Do you feed phyto or do you just rely on your other food sources?

Dom - of the ones you've got pictures, which ones are non-phot.?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: