sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
-IM NEW IN THE HOBBY, AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE TOP 5 SPS, RAREST/EXPENSIVE OF THEM ALL.

-ALSO IF ANYONE HERE HAVE KEPT THEM, AND WHAT WAS THE SUCCESS OF KEEPING THEM, STILL LIVING? OR DID IT DIE?

-WHAT ARE THEY SENSITIVE TO? AND WHAT CAN BE DONE TO MEET THEIR REQUIREMENT?

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW SINCE IM PLANNING ON STARTING AN SPS TANK BY END OF YEAR. DOING MY RESEARCH FROM NOW SO THAT I MAY BE SOMEWHAT KNOWLEDGEABLE WHEN I START.:eek:

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
And if you want rare/expensive because you plan to grow it out and frag/sell it, by the time your SPS get big enough to frag, the fad will have passed and you'll be stuck with last year's pop coral. +1 to pratt - get coral that you find attractive and that increases the aesthetic of your tank.

Oh, and lay off the caps lock :)

DaddyReefer13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
My recommendation is to buy corals that YOU like and find attractive and interesting. The rare/ expensive thing is largely marketing and nothing more.

I totally agree . . this is more of a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" hobby. There are things that ppl are willing to pay an arm and a leg for but I personally don't like.

It is best to see tank displays and pics of frags to see what appeals to you and read up on it to see if you can meet its care requirements.

Good luck

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Other than just getting the corals you like, are you planning on SPS only? There are a few members here that have mainly only SPS. I believe from reading here that most have calcium reactors and such to keep up with the consumption rate of the corals as dosing can become very expensive and problematic.

Hopefully someone else with more experience keeping SPS can chime in. We have more a mixed reef with a bit of this and that. So I am by far no expert on anything. Just a dabbler... doing the best I can to keep my parameters in check and my corals thriving in my glass box in the wall.

Good luck on the new venture. Hopefully you will find those corals that you are drawn to and can't stop staring at. I've been lost staring at my tank many times... then I catch myself and realize so much time has past. :eek::lol:

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Let me tell you what the rarest coral is, a brown moselya.

I bought one unseen from a store that was closing. It is by far the brownest ugliest coral I have ever seen. It seems to be doing pretty well in my tank and growing a bit.

I have looked around in other stores and other people's tank and I have never seen another coral quite so ugly. Seriously, be on the lookout for a really brown and ugly moselya, so ugly that no one wants to buy it, so ugly that no store in their right mind would carry it. So unmarketable that no collector would take it out of the ocean.

I have one of them, about 15 polyps.

$5,000 per polyp if you are interested.

I dare anyone to say they have seen the same kind for sale at a lower price. By definition, this is the rarest and most expensive coral on the market.

sjsoto

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Let me tell you what the rarest coral is, a brown moselya.

I bought one unseen from a store that was closing. It is by far the brownest ugliest coral I have ever seen. It seems to be doing pretty well in my tank and growing a bit.

I have looked around in other stores and other people's tank and I have never seen another coral quite so ugly. Seriously, be on the lookout for a really brown and ugly moselya, so ugly that no one wants to buy it, so ugly that no store in their right mind would carry it. So unmarketable that no collector would take it out of the ocean.

I have one of them, about 15 polyps.

$5,000 per polyp if you are interested.

I dare anyone to say they have seen the same kind for sale at a lower price. By definition, this is the rarest and most expensive coral on the market.

you serious? $5000 per polyp?

i thought fire ice was rarest but wanted to make sure, as for calcium im not worried.

ill have a "state of the art" system...:shhh::smoker:... starting next year

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
If you can find an ORA purple pillow......that is very nice and pretty rare because most guys have survival problems with it. If you do find this one please put me first in line for a frag :)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
That's the coral :)
Sjsoto, not sure exactly why so many people lost their pieces....I lost mine too. I was kind of heavy on my fish load though. I'll never go so high on my bioload again no matter what skimmer I am running.
To ensure its health I would say the same as all other acros. Pristine water quality, good flow, stable conditions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: