anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I dont know if I am placing this in the right area so mods sorry.

I need to know how to go about feeding candy canes and a open brain coral. I tired to give them food today but it seems like they will not take fine cut up krill. Any ideas or are they like feeings sun corals.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neither the candy canes nor the brain need to be fed, but they will both thank you for the meal. they are fed just like sun polyps, but it's best after the lights are out and their tentacles (which are there to catch food) pop out.
if you don't see them right away, a tiny bit of food in the water column usually coaxes them out.

i have seen massive growth increases from feeding the lps meaty foods on a regular basis.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
neither the candy canes nor the brain need to be fed, but they will both thank you for the meal. they are fed just like sun polyps, but it's best after the lights are out and their tentacles (which are there to catch food) pop out.
if you don't see them right away, a tiny bit of food in the water column usually coaxes them out.

i have seen massive growth increases from feeding the lps meaty foods on a regular basis.
x2...I directly fed mine when I first got them years ago to help them settle in, but haven't directly fed them since.....they do grab food floating by when feeeding the other corals and fish....

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I have trained many of my corals to open up daily. My candy canes usually balloon up after being fed. Very cool. Same for my ausi brain which balloons to a verly large size.

My white brain coral, does not open up as often.

Anyway, I started to feed my corals daily ( for years fed frozen food 2-3 times a week ) with good quality frozen food several months ago and see faster growth on many corals. I used to feed the fish and I know the corals got some. Now, I feed the corals and the fish get fed.

I even like my fire red chalice to open up and see the many mouths. Very cool.

I switch off with kinds of frozen foods. Food include copepods, phyto plankton, brine shrimp, mysis, silver slides, etc. Basically, lot's of variety. I also feed my tank twice a week with flake food.

So anyway, by spot feeding daily, most of my corals open up daily pretty quickly, once they get "trained". If that's what you call it.

PS. I have found my corals don't like krill compared to the other stuff I have.

PSS. A number of corals have started to open really big after I fed a certain food once and then they keep going. After using Rod's original formula, my candy caned blew up so big to triple it's size and actually swallowed the food, really cool.

Last edited:

Chraddam

ALL AROUND BAMF
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Anthony, here's what I do, and it works well for me. I take a bunch of frozen stuff(mysis, brine, cyclops, octopus,squid) and maybe a freshly killed fish or 2, and dice it up really really well with my slap-chopper. Really turn it into a paste. I then add it to tank water, throw in a drop or two of garlic extract and maybe some calcium and phytoplex. Mix that sucker up really well, in a blender or in a container. I then fill a few bottles of it to be frozen.

I then shut the flow off in the tank. I leave the LED's on, and slowly drizzle the mixture over the corals that like to be fed. Wait about 10 minutes, you will see their mouths open and tentacles extended. Now you can really feed them, and they will eat happily. It should take no more than 20 minutes for all of this. I turn the lights off about halfway through the entire process and watch with my 3X glasses and my blue LED flashlight. After about an hour, I put the flow back on, and go to bed.

Hope this helps!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: