ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Does anyone out there have an plans to build a canopy? Was thinking about building one this weekend but I'm not a Bob Villa or Norm Abrams.

Don't own a circular saw. Will a regular hand saw/cut pieces from home depot and l brackets do? Guess I should also get a miter box.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
have home depot cut the pieces for you, get some pressure sensitive edge banding, or the iron on kind. it will make the plywood look nice.
get some wood glue, tight bond II or elmers is fine, some small nails, a nail set, wood filler.
cover the edges you will see with the edge banding, follow the directions it's easy.
then glue and nail the hood together, use a few nails they will be acting as clamps while the glue drys. wait a day then use the wood filler for the nails holes, stain or paint, that's it.

ulmo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Jonathan,

Sorry to hijack this thread Ecfencing. I have a few questions about a canopy as well. I need to build one because I'm getting MH soon. What kind of paint for the interior of the canopy. Thanks in advance!

Peter

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Peter

No problem. Actually building the canopy was easier than I thought it would be since I never actually worked with wood before. As far as painting the inside I think you may want to first prime the wood with Kilz or some other primer and then apply some sort of sealer. I think there's a good thread on RC about this. I'll have to find it and post the link.

Last edited:

ulmo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Thanks for the help Ecfencing! I don't have any power tools so I'm going to try my best with this one. Did you have any problems with Home Depot cutting the sizes you wanted?

Peter

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I went to Lowes instead which was closer to my home. They cut one piece a little shorter than the height I needed so I took it back and they matched the pieces. if I were you go to HD with a tape measure. I used 1/2" thick birch plywood which J Hale recommended. It's pretty strong and the canopy is solid. On the back side don't close it up all the way. I left a little room for wires to go out the back.

Definately use the edging which you iron which gives it a nice finished look.
I was only able to find 3/4" edging so I had to trim with a utility knife. You could also use pine which I think gives it more of a furniture look than the "coffin" look the plywood has.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'll post the thread on finishing the canopy from RC once I'm able to search again. I guess I'll become a premium member which allows search privileges during peak demand times.

Last edited:

ulmo

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Ecfencing,

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm going to paint the canopy white so I guess plywood should be okay. Well, I'll see this weekend when I shop around at the depot. Thanks again for all the help. I tried the RC search engine as well last night and had no luck.

Peter

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
fyi, I read Norm Abrams book, he did not have anything nice to say about Bob. And from people I've met that know Norm he is like the nicest guy in the world.
Bobs a bit of a dick. :P

ps. E - I moved your thread to the diy section. :)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Bob was a Marketing/Adversting guy and just know how to sell himself and his TV products and tools. I guess if I was Norm and did all the work and a mouth piece got all the credit I would be pissed off too but then again if it wasn't for Bob who would have even heard about Norm.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
marrone said:
Bob was a Marketing/Adversting guy and just know how to sell himself and his TV products and tools. I guess if I was Norm and did all the work and a mouth piece got all the credit I would be pissed off too but then again if it wasn't for Bob who would have even heard about Norm.

Norm was "discovered" by the shows producer. Bob did not have anything to do with his being hired for the show. I bet the show would have been a success with out Bob.
I think hands down Norm is the best skilled teacher for woodworking I've seen on tv yet. He's got the skills and can actually speak about them while he's working, not an easy thing to do. can you tell I like Norm? :)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
jhale said:
Norm was "discovered" by the shows producer. Bob did not have anything to do with his being hired for the show. I bet the show would have been a success with out Bob.
I think hands down Norm is the best skilled teacher for woodworking I've seen on tv yet. He's got the skills and can actually speak about them while he's working, not an easy thing to do. can you tell I like Norm? :)

It's all about presentation on TV and Bob comes off a certain way that people like while Norm doesn't have that. In reality that could have taken any carpenter/builder type guy and put him in the same position as Norm and it would have probably worked. Nothing against Norm but that the reality or TV or the lack of Reality needed on TV.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I think these guy rock! They were at my job, giving a Q&A.

Attachments

• TOH-crew.jpg
    TOH-crew.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 115

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: