Rating - 100%
127   0   0
ok so this is my first attempt to do my own plumbing ..that being said dont laugh to much. all input is apreciated TIA

a sample of my sump

SUMPSAMPLE.jpg

the drain
100_0387.jpg

return
100_0388.jpg

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I highly doubt your ehiem is going to be able to run a chiller a phosban reactor and be a return for the tank.I am assuming the other one WC stands for water change?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The one potential problem I see with your return is with your reactor TEE as it concerns your WC TEE.
Under normal operation you are feeding a constant feed to your tank with a slight amount going to your reactor. This will be adjusted to optimal flow based on the back-pressure of your tank return which is constant.
During a WC this back-pressure will change and so will your reactor feed. This means you are adjusting your reactor BV whenever you do a WC.
To minimize this adjustment, install a second BV immediately after the main reactor BV. Then you can leave your main reactor adjustment constant yet still isolate your reactor during a water change by closing the downstream BV.
I have also seen people with twoTEEs off their main reactor TEE. In case they add another reactor.

I hope I explained this well.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
1 - The union at the top of your return, lower it to the bottom, then put a ball valve directly above it. This way you can service, or change your pump if needed.

2 - No reason to have a ball valve on your overflow.

3 - Also, no reason to have one let alone two unions on your overflow.

4 - The cap on your 'T' (overflow) is necessary. You'll need to drill a hole in it to regulate your overflow.

5 - I agree with Imbarrie

Don't forget to use primer on the pvc before you use the pvc glue.

Good luck
Russ

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
well its a ballvalve that going to be closed 99% of the time until its time to do a water change. well its in the back and its goign to be attached to the return line , so the return pump is going to be feeding it when its open. btw its going to be spaced out its not actually that to close to each other. hope this helps.

LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
well its a ballvalve that going to be closed 99% of the time until its time to do a water change. well its in the back and its goign to be attached to the return line , so the return pump is going to be feeding it when its open. btw its going to be spaced out its not actually that to close to each other. hope this helps.

So is this hooked up to a tub of water or a sink? I'm trying to understand as I'm about to do my plumbing for the first time. I haven't put in for a WC and wonder about it. Will you have an ATO too?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
WC = Water change

You can use it to pump water out of the sump to do a partial water change.

I would install a BV right before the return goes into the tank. That way you could perform your WC much faster.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: