nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
u think home depot or lowes carrys em.. the gate valves... and does anyone no the diatmeter of the pipe that are used on the asm g3 skimmer.. is it 1/2"

thanks house...

It's 1.25 inch Gate Valve. Don't bother wasting time looking for them locally just go out and buy it online. Dean has the site where we got ours.
-Kris

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Scoots, no need to order from them the info is right there

The gate valve mod is very easy to build. The hardest part is locating a PVC gate valve.

In addition to the gate valve, you will also need an elbow, a tee, and some short lengths of pvc pipe.

The G2 and G3 skimmers both use 1.25 inch PVC and fittings. The G4, G4x, G5, and G6 skimmers all use 1.5 inch PVC and fittings. For the lengths of PVC, we are using: (1) three inch, (2) four inch, and (1) twelve inch.

The first thing you will need to do is remove the adjustable portion of the stand pipe that came with your skimmer (make sure you leave the bottom portion that is molded into the base of the skimmer). Use one of the four inch pieces to connect the gate valve to the bottom portion of the stand pipe. Use the three inch piece to connect the gate valve to the tee.

Use the second piece of four inch pipe to connect the tee to he elbow. Place the twelve inch section into the other side of the elbow. Slide the stub on the bottom side of the gate valve into the stand pipe on the skimmer. Test fit everyting and make sure this will fit into your installation, you may have to shorten or lengthen pieces of the pipe to match your needs.

We have bundled everything you see here in a Mod Kit. They are available here.

On the smaller skimmers, such as the G1x, G2, and G3, you may have to implement the Gate Valve Mod a little differently. This is because of the size the tee and gate valve take up. They end up being too high to effectively allow you to control the water level inside the skimmer. This is an alternate method that will work for the smaller skimmers.

Out of the skimmer exhaust, place your elbow, then connect it to the tee, out of the bottom of the tee you will install the gate valve, from the gate valve you will install a piece a lenght of PVC to empty into your sump.

House

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yea i just gotta find myself a gate valve. thanks house i actually read that and got the pic very easy to do...

Attachments

• mod1c.jpg
    mod1c.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,240
  • mod1b.jpg
    mod1b.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 3,193
Last edited:

RichT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I got all my parts for the gate valve and recirc mod from McMaster Carr. Gate valve & uni-seals anyway. And it only took a couple days for delivery.

Edit: Aquatic Eco-Systems is cheaper.

Last edited:

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
the parts u need are like $20 from usplastic.com and the cost is nearly all the GV. there is no need to buy the pre-made GV mod kit from asmskimmer.com unless you can't operate a tape measure and a hacksaw.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: