tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
The last few days I've been noticing that the dry side on my mp10 has been a lot louder than normal, making kind of a whirring sound. At first I thought it was just a snail stuck in the wet side, so I took it out and cleaned it then realigned it with the dry side, but that only helped a little bit. Had anyone else ever had this problem, and if so how did you fix it? I'm going to call Ecotech in the morning (I figured the customer service lines wouldn't be open on a Sunday). Fingers crossed that I don't need a new dry side!

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Their turn around time on replacement parts or repairs is insanely fast so if you need to replace it don't worry about down time. Just turn it off for a little while and see if that helps before you send it in.

I left it off for 10-12 hours today. It helped for a little bit, but then it started again :(. Does the warranty usually cover this kind of problem?

OceanBlue2

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I had the same whirring sound problem with my Vortech last year. I fixed mine by putting some oil in both bearings after I took it apart. It has been working fine since then. You don't want to take it apart if it is still under warranty.

Google Noisy Vortech Dryside fix for more information.

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I left it off for 10-12 hours today. It helped for a little bit, but then it started again :(. Does the warranty usually cover this kind of problem?

Yes. I had two 40s and one of them vibrate and making noise. I switched the 2 and proved that one of the wetside is somehow off. No matter how I move it, twist it, it still noisy. Called in and they sent me a new one.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Thanks everyone, I've been trying to align it *perfectly* all day, and the noise is still there. I don't want to pop it open just yet since I think I have a little more time on the warranty.

Thank you everyone for the advice so far!

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Thanks M. I sent in the warranty card after I got it in March + registered the pump on their website, but I never got any sort of confirmation back from them, so I'm hoping I don't have to pay to have it fixed since it has only actually been on my tank since April.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I had a similiar prob with one of my mp10s. It sounded as if the dry side was spinning faster than the wet side.....like a loose nut or something in dry side?.

It eventually went away after turning power off for a few hours.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
I had a similiar prob with one of my mp10s. It sounded as if the dry side was spinning faster than the wet side.....like a loose nut or something in dry side?.

It eventually went away after turning power off for a few hours.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like something is loose in there. After some googling is seems like this problem is usually caused by the bearings and can be fixed DIY with a little bit of effort, but I'm still covered under warranty so I'm just going to send it in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: