BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Hello all, still new to the whole reef tank business. I need recommendations on lighting.

my tank is a 110 Tall. 48x18x30. I currently have a 4 bulb T5 light. Some asian brand probably. i don't see any brand on it. The LFS recommended 2 18" Acan LED Lights. I tend to not go with what a LFS recommends without research first.

currently have a flower pot coral, acan, a few mushrooms, xenia tree. green zoanthids.

Im interested in getting a clam, brain coral, and possible some other lps.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Only people on MR love theys junk Acan lights . One no coolong fans , 1 watt Leds that are pushed to 1.5w not good!!, Not upgradeablle at all and massive par loose in less then a year.
i looked at champion lighting but it looked simpler. What lighting do you recommend batt600? to my understanding LED systems are still new to market and some are crap and others arent. I would like to hear what you have to say

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
i looked at champion lighting but it looked simpler. What lighting do you recommend batt600? to my understanding LED systems are still new to market and some are crap and others arent. I would like to hear what you have to say

I would say the Echotech radion xr30w , AI solo blues or Maxspect OR DIY led fixture All upgradeable and parts are available if needed and will lest 10 years and have cooling fans

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Only people on MR love theys junk Acan lights . One no coolong fans , 1 watt Leds that are pushed to 1.5w not good!!, Not upgradeablle at all and massive par loose in less then a year.
I like the acan lights, plus the company is located right here on long island. If they go bad on me i can take them in for repair, or if unable to be repaired I would just buy another set.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Jaftica says there not 1 watt running at 1.5 there 3 watt maxed at 1.5 for longer life. As far as the drop in par goes i think this is going to be an issue with LED's. I had a couple of electricians and one electrical engineer already tell me this, but i have no way of knowing how true or how bad. As far as the sols being better im not so sure, i finally got to see them in person and the controler is great love what you can do with it, but as far as the lights there was nothing there that blew me away a matter of fact i thought the were a little on the weak side, for me 2 would not be enough for a 4 foot tank making them at that point also expensive. But in the end its going to be how the live stock does so only time will tell on them.

Its going to be the same as everything else some people will like one thing another person something else in the end you will have to take it all in and decide for your self.

But i still think LED is the way to go, and it does not have to be very costley depends how you do it.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
how do you guys feel about the AI lighting systems batt600 mentioned. regardless of how he feels about acan lighting. Whether he is right or wrong. From what newfidog is saying AI lighting will come out being more expensive

thanks guys

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: