CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
A6AE55C9-027D-45E2-A6CA-92313EE633DE-14736-000011255C3F34E9.jpg

I don't know if you solved the problem or not but I was looking at this picture and can't tell for sure but do you have filter pads in between the two baffles b4 your return chamber? If so those get clogged pretty quickly especially in the small space. This will restrict flow into the return chamber.

Not sure if this is the case. Trying to help. Good luck

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Oh man where to begin ... First I played with the water levels for about an hour then I moved the level of the pump. Up, down, then I cleaned the air hole in the return pipe, then calibrated (kind of) the valve in return, and I saw the it was more fluid and finally I got to sleep for a few hours and now I'm at work tired but happy ;)

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I don't know.how your return pump is setup but it may help.to.put an elbow on it facing down so that as your sump gets lower via evaporation, it is less likely to.suck in air with such a small return section.

Congrats Dr. Frankenstein!!! (In reference to your "It's ALIVE!" Reference)
;)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
My pump is out the water, so there's a hose that goes in the water.

Mag Drive pumps should not be run out of the water. You will burn it out faster with your application.
Are you doing this because it won't fit into that chamber?
Any chance of removing that last baffle so that it will fit in there?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
...also...do you have a clamp on the hose we can't see attached to the Mag Drive? (the one you say is sticking in the water so the pump has less of a chance to run dry?)
If so, you need to change it to a plastic clamp. Even Stainless Steel clamps rust in our tanks, and that is not good :(

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy c, thanks the reason I ran it like that is the heat factor, but I'm considering running it submerged. The clamp is plastic.

You really need to consider it soon before you need a new pump, they should only be run while submerged. The water in the sump will help keep the pump cool. They barely (if even) raise the temp of the tank by a single degree. Extenral pumps - which run much hotter tend to heat the water more.

Good that you have a plastic clamps on there :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: