james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I bought a Nac6 recently from an awesome member here Hector. Iv had the skimmer set up in 8 1/2 inches of water for about a month and it was pulling out some great stuff.

I turned the skimmer off to get access to my reactors behind it to change my media. So while I was at it, I cleaned out the collection cup on the skimmer.

Well, I turned the skimmer back on and now it wont create foam. I can get the level to raise and lower and the bubbles look to be the same, but it wont foam up and raise. Just the water level raises.

What is going on here?!? Is my pump shot? Or does it need to be cleaned already? I started manually dosing cal and Alk if this makes a difference.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I bought a Nac6 recently from an awesome member here Hector. Iv had the skimmer set up in 8 1/2 inches of water for about a month and it was pulling out some great stuff.

I turned the skimmer off to get access to my reactors behind it to change my media. So while I was at it, I cleaned out the collection cup on the skimmer.

Well, I turned the skimmer back on and now it wont create foam. I can get the level to raise and lower and the bubbles look to be the same, but it wont foam up and raise. Just the water level raises.

What is going on here?!? Is my pump shot? Or does it need to be cleaned already? I started manually dosing cal and Alk if this makes a difference.

How long has it been back on???

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I took off the water inlet piece that has the air line tube attached and soaked it in vinegar. Some salt come off but no luck.

I read that the nac6 has a weak impeller cover shaft that when over tightened it will crack and cause a dead skimmer. I will look at that again and order a replacement just in case.

QUESTION: I have the all white version ( I believe the red and blue one is the newer one) which atman pump do I have the 2500? I want to order a new pump but which pump could I upgrade too that would still fit? Could I put in a better pump?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Johnny thanks ill look into it.

It produces bubbles fine. I see no difference from when it produced foam. The only difference is at the top of the bubble water line the bubbles don't turn into that foam.

This is killing me my tank is getting dirty and sps is not happy

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I don't think it's a starting issue. It's not producing enough bubbles to create a foam which raises into the collection cup.

It's as if it was in its "break in" period again

if that is the case then I'm not a 100% sure. Is it possible you adjusted the wedge pipe to a position that more open that you had before. Have you tried adjusting to wedge pipe to regulate the height of where the bubbles are starting to break.

I'm not really a skimmer guy but these are somethings I have tried with the skimmers I have owned (currently SWC Cone 160).

Good Luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: