Marek-S

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Hi guys,
Talking about protein skimmer, some say it's better to have a skimmer double the size of your tank , in my case (reef 150+30 sump =180 ) so it means I should get a skimmer rated for 350-400 gal. - is this way to go - or is this way too much ------ so -----is bigger better ???

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
no it isnt, finding the best balanced and suitable skimmer for your tank will work much better and consistant then a over sized skimmer, and a 180g tank really once rock and sand is added might be a 120g and unless your 30g sump is filled to the brin it is more then likely only 20g if

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I actually went 3x as big and couldnt be happier that i did. Before i had a vertex in 180 rated for 180 gallons and i had 90 gallons all together in water volume and i was getting cyano all in the sand bed,couldnt get my nitrates down even with frequent water changes and had green algae growing on the walls of my tank. SPS wouldnt color up fully. I now have a reef octopus 3000 rated for 300 gallons and i have 100 gallons total water volume (i added a 12 gallon frag tank) cyano is gone,no green algae my nitrates are steadily low for 2 months now and my SPS have vivid colors.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So having an overrated skimmer can prevent cyano? (along with good maintenance and not overfeeding of course) If that is true, then sh*t. I am limited to a 8 3/4's"x9 footprint thanks to the ridiculously small 3rd chamber in my proflex sump model 3 and a low cabinet. For me to get a proper skimmer, I'd have to break down the tank, find a stand that has decent interior height (and without that damned center brace so if need be, i wouldn't need to break it down to remove a sump) and one that won't void my tank warranty if God forbid something happens to the tank and get a "real sump/refugium that has decent space. I'm looking at $$$. Ugh!

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
So having an overrated skimmer can prevent cyano?
no it doesnt,
i dont go by what a company rates them at cause there is variables to a rating, plus i have to laugh at how they rate them.
atb i would say is about my favorite skimmer, best balanced and really almost dead on ratings,
marek i need exact space available, i am not a fan of the octo line exept the recirc. you see alot of them for sale for a reason, you can have a skimmer running and it seems to be doing the job, then stick a new skimmer in and be like wow this think kills my old skimmer, then once again a few months later your getting the same as you was from prior skimmer

For whatever I know - reef octopus recommends 6-6.5 water depth
this is because this ir right where the outlet is and sumbmercing the outlet will cause the skimmer to run funny and over flow

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
An oversized skimmer will not prevent cyano or lower nitrates but a better skimmer can. I usually go for a skimmer that is 25% over the rated amount for my tank volume. But I also look at LPH, quality, wattage, design, footprint, Customer support and warranty.

Buying an oversized skimmer will not always give you better results as it may give you inconsistant skimming, light green skim or no skim at all. Research the skimmers you are interested in before making that purchase. Reef Octopus skimmer are good skimmer that are cheaper and work with good reviews. I like the ATB skimmers. Consistantly excellent. Bubble King are great but expensive for what you get. Vertex skimmers are hit and miss for me.

The Elegance is good but you could also use the ATB 840 V2 and still be over the rating for your tank and save $300

HTH

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
For me it has prevented cyano and lowered my nitrates. Sure it may not have to do with the over sized part but a great skimmer. I havent changed anything at all to help the growth of cyano. heck i gave up and just figured it was part of my system but after adding this skimmer the cyano has prety much gone so yeah a better skimmer helps alot

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: