Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
So I'm hoping to Do 300 gal build ive never used lg return pumps b4,

What size pump do I need for tank that lg and what should I look for in a pump? Amount of electric needed to run one? Tank will be next to a closet with the sump (gonna use a bin ) so won't need to pump upstairs or anything!
What's best pump out there??
Is there any way to create random flow ur main return pump ? How many returns should I have?

Also wanted to build a surge tank can I to off return pump to fill surge tank

ctrayer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I am running a reeflo hammerhead/barracuda
hybrid pump on my 325. It moves about 5000
gallons per hour and is very quite for its size
I have it working for the returns and also a manifold
that runs to my frag tank, refugium, biopellet reactor
and to my GFO/carbon units. It is well worth
the price tag

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
A surge device on that tank is going to be more of a headache than it's worth. I would only install one on a tank that was specifically designed for that purpose. Setup vortechs or tunzes properly and you can accomplish roughly the same effect.

As for pumps, we need more info on the system as far as what you plan to run off of the return.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I run a surge in my 185 and unless you like salt creep and spray on everything forget it!

I will never use anything but a Reeflo blowhole. Id use 2 of em if needed. If using external pumps that's the pump.

However Lately I have been wanting a fully controllable just so I cna play with my apex...

They are cheap,silent,low watts,hi lift,low heat and have 3 speeds.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You would need several of the Blowholes for that setup. Factor in head from the basement and the volume of the display. They are pretty awesome though I would go with a dual pump setup for your build. You aren't going to save electric if you're using a bunch of smaller pumps.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am running a reeflo hammerhead/barracuda
hybrid pump on my 325. It moves about 5000
gallons per hour and is very quite for its size
I have it working for the returns and also a manifold
that runs to my frag tank, refugium, biopellet reactor
and to my GFO/carbon units. It is well worth
the price tag
+1
I have had the reeflo Hammerhead Gold on my DT for 5 years before I needed to change the seals. You can throttle them back if you need to. All I did for maintenance was to vacuum the fan ports at the back of the motor. Good luck with your build, Neil.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: