d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Wondering if its wise to run all equipment off one single pump?

Returns, reactors, skimmer

Anyone have an opinion on pros and cons?

I ask because I purchased a pump that puts out over 3000 gallons per hour and will probably only need to run it at 60% of its output UNLESS I also use it to run the skimmer.

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I have my entire system that runs on one pump Reeflo Dart. It i use that as return and I run phosphate reactor, Carbon Reactor, Feed Skimmer, Feed my algae scrupper and water from algae scrubber goes to sump and not issues at all. But I do have one pump as a backup in case of emergency but Reeflo pumps have very good reputation, As long as pump seal is new. I am very happy and I am trying to use every gallon/hr out of that pump.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
My intentions are to use a 3200 GPH pump and just put a quick release connector in the plumbing, pump fails and easy switch.

Is your Reeflo loud? can it be hear at night from one room to the next?

I have my entire system that runs on one pump Reeflo Dart. It i use that as return and I run phosphate reactor, Carbon Reactor, Feed Skimmer, Feed my algae scrupper and water from algae scrubber goes to sump and not issues at all. But I do have one pump as a backup in case of emergency but Reeflo pumps have very good reputation, As long as pump seal is new. I am very happy and I am trying to use every gallon/hr out of that pump.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
Very bad idea imo when u pump fails ur system is shut down plus how u run ur different equipment om there own time for example I can run any of equipment of my apex or there own controller like my chiller runs on its own controller u cant do this with ball valves and one pump

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
There are plenty of pumps-PLENTY that will give you more than enough to run everything. I personally am not a fan of running everything off of one. If it fails and you don't have a back up you're completely screwed, especially if its as large as you plan on going and can't just go to a LFS to get a new one. I like to run skimmers on their own pumps as well as calcium reactors. Media reactors are fine because they're lower flow as well as not essential for tank survival.

Just one thing to remember about manifolds. When you take one thing off line the rest of the outlets experience added pressure so its a balancing act each time you do stuff in any one of them.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
You definitely can and I do it now. There are two issues one that is an easy problem to fix the other is just a little pain in the ***.

First is make sure you have a backup pump is a must(on hand) for two reasons one for pump failure(which is inevitable) and secondly to clean so you have one to swap out.
Secondly, when you adjust the flow rate of one item it effects everything. So be aware of this and it just take a little tweaking of all the other items that manifold out. I have flow meters on a couple of my items and this has helped tremendously. However, they need to be cleaned often which is a royal pain in the A--.

Thane

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Like Thane said. If you do it on one you best make sure you buy 2 at the same time or else you'll keep putting it off until its too late. Kind of like we all are with generators and hurricanes.

If you run it all off one when you do your plumbing make sure its a quick and easy swap out so when it happens your day isnt ruined, just your hour.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i run one pump, if it goes bad you still have power heads to keep things going for a few days just put your heater in dt.
when it goes bad you order it takes a few days or over night it.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I'm a big fan of minimizing the amount of pumps, but I will still have another pump for skimmer. Everything else can be T'ed off the return pump, chiller, reactors, scrubber, etc. This minimizes the amount of plugs you need since the outlet already looks like an electrical hazard, and the chance of getting stray current in the tank as well. I also have a backup return pump just in case. The ease of just adding something to an existing manifold instead of getting another small pump is fantastic IMO.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Yeah, I am thinking along the same lines, not messing with the skimmer pump, manifold for everything except the skimmer.

One pump for UV, reactors, scrubber, returns

One pump for Skimmer, I think....

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yeah, I am thinking along the same lines, not messing with the skimmer pump, manifold for everything except the skimmer.

One pump for UV, reactors, scrubber, returns

One pump for Skimmer, I think....

thats how i have it, skimmer independent everything else on one pump.
only thing is like mentioned, you tweak one you have to tweak the others but no big deal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: