Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As predicted, I have a small incling of adding some corals to an existing 75g that was FOWLR. With a "chinese" LED light currently hanging above the tank (no par readings available), it is barely keeping things around and I wouldn't mind at least some grow/movement from zoas etc.With that said, what can I supplement some of the lighting with without replacing the unit etc. Can I use a gooseneck and add like a Kessil or something? PAR 32 bulb in a shop lamp etc? As nonexistent as it always is, I'm still trying ot keep it on the cheaper side since full replacement isn't an option at this point. Guess I could eventually have like 3 Kessils over the tank for full coverage but thats not happening right now.

Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have one of the larger ones that covers most of my tank. Light is 32" so covers most of the 4ft tank. I could probaly make a box to include this light along with 2 t5's but don't want it to be too heavy/wide either.If I can add 2 lets say 36" t5's to it, what bulbs should I use? Mixed?

Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Old post but reviving as a tank move may take place in the near future. Even though the item listed below is more of a "shop" light, and isn't the ultimate in aesthetics, can a light like listed below be functional if perhaps like a blue stunner strip or equivalent was used? I don't like the concept of just flat out lights on/lights off (I know how I feel about it, let alone fish etc). Can't go all out for a light thats programmable or with separate powers at the moment (trying to save for a wedding next year) but would like to get more out of my 75g.

http://www.amazon.com/4-lamp-Fluorescent-High-Light-Fixture/dp/B00EHQXJ6A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HCZVS3MVDBNN27QV89Z

Pets Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
the only reason someone woudl tell you "no" is simple.

they havent tried it

dont believe the reflectors to be well built

or dont believe in non name brand.

with that said, in my opinion if you go with quality bulbs that match the wattage you should be all good. Just make sure you cover the bulbs... salt creep electric shocks suck

Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Pets Aquatic. Figured that worst case scenario I could put some sort of cooling fans on it etc if it would get to warm or even put like a small wood/acrylic enclosure on it to "glitz" it up. Would definitely add decent bulbs to the light if I ever wanted it to be functional towards a reef setup. Would definitely consider covering the lights with an acrylic sheet to both protect them as they are not waterproof caps and from salt creep.

More than likely this light would not be sitting directly on my tank (hell maybe it will I have no idea yet), but if i was to hang a light similar to this, would a 3ft fixture be more suitable as raising it would spread the light a bit more?

Might even stop in the store later today as I've heard good things and I'm no too far from there. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: