ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
These are what everyone calls Chinese LEDs it's basically a couple of factories that are making the same LEDs with the same set up they work pretty good there is a better version that they call a Wi-Fi version and you can control it and set it up to automatical change depending on the hour go to Amazon and type in reef LEDs and you'll see a bunch of reviews on this type of lighting

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There's many versions of that type of "Chinese", or "black box" lighting. With or without programming, lenses, heat exchange, fans, as well as dif angle lenses. There's even a few ppl who have dif chips you can install to improve them.

The one you posted has no programming and only one power cord, so you can't put blue and white on separate timers.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
The one you posted has no programming and only one power cord, so you can't put blue and white on separate timers.

Yes forgot to mention the two separate cords on the wifi version you dont need it because it lets you program different colors and features
Photos it what the wifi version looks like if you these i recommend the wifi version you can find them easily on ebay or amazon
4cfd98ce003e182361afa02b14d3a1d2.jpg

0719737394feba9997da61a78e7d2f39.png

e514b2fd94ae72e0514ab805bead6f6f.png

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I would have went with the wifi version for $125 a little more but you can control it from a app with timers etc
By the way while these led are ok t5 lighting is way better just figured idd mention it and i have a extra light if you want for free how wide is your tank

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
These are what everyone calls Chinese LEDs it's basically a couple of factories that are making the same LEDs

There are more than a couple factories producing these and the only thing that is the same is the housing. The internals and the led's can vary greatly between the companies. I work with many of these companies helping them to design the internals and the layouts (the well known companies not the fly by night ones). I could recommend a few different lights but the amazon/ebay ones are often hard to tell the specific manufacturer. I do like (and have no affiliation to) Mars Aqua led's found on ebay.

Mars Aqua 300W LED (240w)

2PCS MarsAqua Dimmable 165W LED (120w)

As for hanging I either recommend installing a shelf on the wall above the tank (can sell it as a place to put pretty pictures) then hang the lights from that. Another idea is to get some conduit pipe from HD, use their pipe bender, grab some clamps, spray paint whatever color you like, drain tank and affix to back of the stand bending up and over the tank to suspend the lights.

Last edited:

mavl666

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would have went with the wifi version for $125 a little more but you can control it from a app with timers etc
By the way while these led are ok t5 lighting is way better just figured idd mention it and i have a extra light if you want for free how wide is your tank
I currently have a Solar Extreme 4 bulb T5. The 2nd and 4th lights will not light up. I tried other bulbs and no good. Not sure what is wrong with the fixture why I was looking for a new light. Not mention changing the bulbs on this fixture is a real pain.

mavl666

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are more than a couple factories producing these and the only thing that is the same is the housing. The internals and the led's can vary greatly between the companies. I work with many of these companies helping them to design the internals and the layouts (the well known companies not the fly by night ones). I could recommend a few different lights but the amazon/ebay ones are often hard to tell the specific manufacturer. I do like (and have no affiliation to) Mars Aqua led's found on ebay.

Mars Aqua 300W LED (240w)

2PCS MarsAqua Dimmable 165W LED (120w)

As for hanging I either recommend installing a shelf on the wall above the tank (can sell it as a place to put pretty pictures) then hang the lights from that. Another idea is to get some conduit pipe from HD, use their pipe bender, grab some clamps, spray paint whatever color you like, drain tank and affix to back of the stand bending up and over the tank to suspend the lights.
I looked at the MARS lights but they don't seem to be programmable which is why I picjed SunSpect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: