Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 PM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
I only keep my sump level at 6.5" running so if I do shut down, my sump gets only to the 9" mark. I don't normally shut my return for feeding.

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
Guess I will be adding this to my wish list!

Agora Auctions, Inc. (Ancient, World and US coins & Antiquities)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (33 (100%)
Friends: (24)
Send a Private Message View lnevo's Twitter Profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat View Post
I only keep my sump level at 6.5" running so if I do shut down, my sump gets only to the 9" mark. I don't normally shut my return for feeding.

My sump level is 10” and it goes up to probably 12-13” when shutdown. I haven’t been shutting down for a while but mainly cause I’m just tossing pellets in. When I fed frozen I did. Will probably go back eventually. Right now I’m dealing with a leak somewhere...
Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 PM
reef obsessed
Reefer Ratings: (52 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
How difficult is replacing the fleece? Do you have to take the entire thing out of the sump?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
Yes you will need to take the entire unit out in order to thread the fleece onto the rollers.

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 09-18-2018, 08:14 PM
The unit hinges in the middle so as you pull it out you can fold it and can get it out with minimal clearance. It's not much different really than pulling a sock out.

Good news is that the leak seems to be from the air conditioner. Bad news is that the air conditioner cost me quite a bit to replace. I think the tank would have cost me more I think I may still have some issue down in my tank but I think at least it's a resolved one.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 AM
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
O man this unit is awesome just got it installed earlier today! For anyone considering it, I would say go for it!

As to the question about does it need to be removed from the sump in order to replace the filter sock.... I know pecan said yes, but I am thinking there will be a way to tape the beginning of the new roll to the end of the old roll and thread the new roll in that way. I wont be able to confirm if that works for a few months though. haha. Hopefully it does, because I dont want to take it out of the sump if I dont have to. But, if not what ever, it is not too difficult to take out.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefiness View Post
O man this unit is awesome just got it installed earlier today! For anyone considering it, I would say go for it!

As to the question about does it need to be removed from the sump in order to replace the filter sock.... I know pecan said yes, but I am thinking there will be a way to tape the beginning of the new roll to the end of the old roll and thread the new roll in that way. I wont be able to confirm if that works for a few months though. haha. Hopefully it does, because I dont want to take it out of the sump if I dont have to. But, if not what ever, it is not too difficult to take out.
You could probably do that but you'd have to catch it early enough to unroll what's left and attach to the next sheet. Then you'd have to trust the tape to one, be in the tank for a day, and two, hold up to being pulled through while wet. It's a good idea, but I don't think that will work in practice. You might be better with a few stitches of thread, but at the end of the day pulling it out even in my cramped space isn't too bad.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnevo View Post
You could probably do that but you'd have to catch it early enough to unroll what's left and attach to the next sheet. Then you'd have to trust the tape to one, be in the tank for a day, and two, hold up to being pulled through while wet. It's a good idea, but I don't think that will work in practice. You might be better with a few stitches of thread, but at the end of the day pulling it out even in my cramped space isn't too bad.
the few stitches wouldnt be a bad idea either. Also i wasnt talking about taping the filters together and letting it continue operation, I meant taping it together and pulling the whole thing through at once and reset the next roll. Like even the tape that comes on the new roll.