Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Reefer Ratings: (33 (100%)
Friends: (24)
Send a Private Message View lnevo's Twitter Profile
Gotcha. It's worth trying Probably would make sense if you're using the manual version, I feel like I wouldn't be able to time the replacement properly and would be wasting some of the roll to do that. Let us know how that goes
Old 09-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
hmm, seems as the spent roll gets larger, and the torque required to spin the roll increases the motor is clicking a decent amount as it struggles to spin. Is anyone else experiencing this? It always gets the roll moved eventually after clicking a few times, but there goes the silent operation. :/
Old 09-28-2018, 09:01 PM
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefiness View Post
hmm, seems as the spent roll gets larger, and the torque required to spin the roll increases the motor is clicking a decent amount as it struggles to spin. Is anyone else experiencing this? It always gets the roll moved eventually after clicking a few times, but there goes the silent operation. :/
I called coralvue to complain about it as I thought it may have been a bad motor. Turns out some off the earlier units didnt have the used fleece roller spindle put together correctly and the piece of clear acrylic was not glued to the small gray pvc, but rather just force fit in. The sound I was heading was the acrylic grinding on the pcv as the motor spun, but the friction between the acrylic and pvc was not enough to prevent slippage.

I am having a replacement spindle sent out to me so all will be resolved. As a temporary fix I used some super glue and seems to turn a little quieter now.

So if any of you come across this same problem, check out that connection there. You can easily tell by holding the motor assembly and used roller stationary while looking at the metal rod coming out of the motor. If that continues to spin while you hear that dreaded sound, then your issue is with the acrylic/pvc rubbing and not the motor itself.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Reefer Ratings: (48 (98%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Dbtc Red Sea

I have a Red Sea max650. Imo the biggest shortfall of the system is the lack of filter socks. Anyone familiar with the sump layout will agree there really isn’t a way to get filter socks in. My sump is always filled with detritus causing my reactor pumps and skimmer to clog. If there’s a way to get this working in my sump I would buy it in a heartbeat. I guess I have to watch a bunch of YouTube videos to see if I can figure out a way to get it in my system. If anyone lives by me in West Babylon and is willing to let me come see it in person I’d happily bring a Frag or some cold refreshments.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Online Retailer
Vendor: Vendor - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Klir makes an adapter for tanks without filter socks, which you can see here... https://www.luminousaquatics.com/col...filter-bracket
Old 09-29-2018, 10:04 AM
Reefer Ratings: (48 (98%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Sump

Idk if you’re familiar with the layout of the rs dumps but I don’t think that would fit. Rs really dropped the ball in this area of design
Old 09-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
This is the dimensions of the stand alone adapter 7.4 x 5.25 x 12.625, you can just check that back right section of your sump to see if you have the footprint.

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 09-29-2018, 07:21 PM
I'm in Bellmore if you wanted to check out mine. There's been some threads (check Reef2Reef) about modifying to fit the RS sumps.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 PM
So my tank was making a wierd blooping sound yesterday. I had no idea what was causing it. I couldn't go to bed with that going on and not knowing... so I'm watching my return section where the Klir is and I see a big air bubble, hear a bloop and I think it's coming from the Klir. Yeah, it is. Oh wait, is that the filter cloth dangling inside its channel. Oh, I guess the roll is used up. Hard to tell.. it could have been like that for a few hours, days, who knows. I'm hoping since the blooping was new that it had started recently.

Anyway, I spent about 10-15 minutes pulling it out, taking off the old spool, taking the poly screw out, grabbing a fresh roll, putting that on, wiping down the klir too, putting everything back together and getting it back inside. I'm sure that time will improve as I get used to it...

What was interesting, was about 2/3 of the roll was pretty white. I believe all of that was from the first day, I had the optical sensor not facing away from the drain and it definitely spun way more than it should've. The last 1/3 was pretty grunged up. I didn't realize you don't need the spindle as I had already managed to get it out. The whole thing was pretty stinky.

So now it's doing it's thing again. I'm looking forward to monitoring it now from a fresh start. Pretty impressed if I got 2 weeks out of the last third of the roll, it should do much better this time around

Last edited by lnevo; 10-01-2018 at 08:26 PM..
Old 11-04-2018, 12:39 AM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
So an update, it's been 2 months and my fleece roll is still not spent so that has been a huge plus so far.
I only expected 30~40 days at best but heck, I'll take it.
I'm sure people have read a bunch of problems regarding the product on other forums but the only annoying problem that I have had in 60 days is the fleece roll snagging and being locked up twice. I think this is happening because the product has been rolled out quickly and the material is not as refined as it could be. The acrylic bracket frame is not polished enough and might be the reason why the fleece is getting snagged every once in a while (2x for me). On the next stall or change out, I'll take a closer look to see if this is actually the problem and hand sand the edges of where the fleece comes into contact with the frame to see if this alleviates the snagging.
What I don't like is their controller, seems a little skimpy. Mine did not sound any kind of audible alarm nor did the controller LED flash during either times the motor stalled, just heard the unusual noise of water overflowing from the sock tray when it shouldn't have been. I also had a difficult time shutting the unit off through the controller to address the stall. Controller does not seem to respond well in regards to the power/reset tactile button, seems glitchy at best.
So far on a scale of 1-10, still an 8.5 since I have not had to pull or clean a filter sock for 2 months.

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html