Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 AM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Question White spot on lyretail anthias

I got 4 female lyretail female anthias from liveaquaria about 8 days ago. I bought 3 small and 1 medium sized, assuming the medium would become male to try and help prevent some of the possible infighting for whos male.

I stupidly did not QT the fish. The smallest female in the picture attached -- I will get better images tomorrow when the light is on brighter. She did not have this spot when she came into my DT. She's had it for 4 days now. It hasn't noticeably grown nor improved.

I'm wondering if it is flukes, lympho, uronema, a bacterial infection caused by stress perhaps by another female trying to get her place in the pecking order.

I have not witnessed any white stringy poop, but I can't say that I have seen this particular fish poop. I haven't seen any scratching behavior. here is no heavy breathing. I have seen a blue green chromis chase her and one of the other female lyretails as well.

Generally she is more shy than the other lyretails, she has a nice shadowy spot she likes to hang out in, but shes not there all the time by any means. she will come out into the water column randomly and at feeding time.

Am I being a nervous Nellie?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by willienelson; 01-18-2019 at 12:19 AM..
Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 AM
Got Reef?
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
Could just be an injury from shipping.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:14 AM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Send a Private Message
To me it just looks like an abrasion, maybe from swimming to close to rocks or trying to fit in a tight crevice,
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Eating and swimming normally?

I just tried lyretails out from a lfs... the first 3 lasted a few days..the second 3 made it maybe 9 days. They went from totally fine one day, to not eating and hiding the next...and then dead on the next day.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Send a Private Message
Ok thanks guys. I'm watching it carefully, and if it gets bigger I'll have to trap him and put in a qt for observation/treatment.

Yeah shes been eating fine. She hasn't been invisible while hiding. it's more that she chills in the shadows while swimming, not tucked away in the rock or anything like that. Will keep you posted.