doma25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a little pond that my family and i call the frog pond because there are wild frogs that inhabit it. However this summer and the past summer no frogs went to the pond because it became so mucky. There seemed to be more mud then water. So i cleaned the crap out of it... bare in mind it is probably a 200 gallon pond so i drained and powerwashed it and noticed two big holes in the pond however no water would get through because it is built around thick brick. 3 days later i filled the pond up to see how much volume it could hold and how long it would hold it and after a week the water is still clear, but stagnant. low and behold a frog is in it. It also seems that there are hundreds of mosquito larva present as well!

Well i was going to drain it once more patch up the holes with concrete line the pond with rubber lining, add a canister filter and all those thing but now there is a frog in it and i feel bad destroying his habitat( is this normal?) is it inhumane to take out the frog drain out the mosquito infested water and fix up the pond? Here are some pics

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 240

doma25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i would be installing a top notch canister filter.... along with a pretty nice fountain if do go ahead and drain it again which i want to! I see mosquito larva.... should i feed them to my reef tank?! haha

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I am in the process of building a 400 sq ft pond myself, what you want us suggest you beside the frog issue. I am with lfsmarineguy in that question.
I noticed that when you say the pond is brick build-so before you put the lining in, you should add a under layment or if you have enough old newspaper, cardboard or cold carpet, you can use them too.

What do you want to keep in the pond?

BTW, the way the fog seems to like you already with all that pose.

Last edited:

doma25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha thanks for the response i hope the frog likes me... i took him out and drained the pond. I put the frog in a shallow bucket near the pond. What i did was started using mortar and bricks to fill the holes of the pond to give it support. Its coming out great ill take some before and after picks!

I plan on keeping maybe a few fish that could survive the winter or just allowing nature to supply the occupants..... i just want it to be filtered... attractive and not stagnant so mosquitos wont make it a west nile dump.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
To me, I like the Ryukin body shape the best. That's the one on the top right. You may be better off with the regular common goldfish that stores sell as feeders though. There are plenty of them that are white, black, orange or any combo thereof. They can get pretty sizable though too and they can live a long time.

In a 200g pond, without a heater, I don't see any fish making it over the winter. How deep is it?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
To me, I like the Ryukin body shape the best. That's the one on the top right. You may be better off with the regular common goldfish that stores sell as feeders though. There are plenty of them that are white, black, orange or any combo thereof. They can get pretty sizable though too and they can live a long time.

In a 200g pond, without a heater, I don't see any fish making it over the winter. How deep is it?

if the pond gets 3 feet height, goldfish and koi will survive the winter as long as the ice did not freeze to the bottom. In New York City 3 1/2 very safe for them. Most pond with 3 feet is OK.

My goldfish in my old <3 feet pond sleep in a small puddle of water(may be 16" x 12" x 6" under a sheet of ice 2 feet ice over the winter. My guests used to walk to the center of the pond to look at them wiggling their tails. They gave birth right after the ice melt.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: