Rating - 100%
17   0   0
what should i do? , im gonna take the rock out
Bubblea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Is there a factual source for this, I can't remember who but one of the speakers LIRA had mentioned this to be false.

I've had success with a Foxface and Sailfin tang eating this as well.

I am wondering the same thing Joe.
I was just reading more about this and saw a reference to someone named 'Rich' addressing that topic. Could it have been Rich Ross? If so, we need to get him to drop by and add to this thread :)

What I was reading said they do not multiply due to spores, but it is pieces the 'flesh' inside of the bubble that will grow more bubble algae if it lands on a surface in the tank that it can attach to. (which can be hit or miss)

Which seems to make sense as some folks claim the crabs and some fish are useful - yet there is no way the crabs are eating the bubbles whole unless we are talking about really tiny bubbles.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I am too wondering about this. I believe it was Rich Ross that mentioned it in his talk @ NERAC. But I can't be 100% sure... It'll be great if someone can confirm.

I was just reading more about this and saw a reference to someone named 'Rich' addressing that topic. Could it have been Rich Ross? If so, we need to get him to drop by and add to this thread :)

What I was reading said they do not multiply due to spores, but it is pieces the 'flesh' inside of the bubble that will grow more bubble algae if it lands on a surface in the tank that it can attach to. (which can be hit or miss)

Which seems to make sense as some folks claim the crabs and some fish are useful - yet there is no way the crabs are eating the bubbles whole unless we are talking about really tiny bubbles.

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I am too wondering about this. I believe it was Rich Ross that mentioned it in his talk @ NERAC. But I can't be 100% sure... It'll be great if someone can confirm.

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs

I sent Rich a PM, hopefully he gets it soon and drops by to address the topic for us :)

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The more I think about it the more I believe it was Rich, part of his skeptical reefing....going to check reefs mag as well but makes more sense as any fish or critter would have to pop the bubble to eat it

zlin0524

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
okay , i just took the rock out , and removed all the bobbles. however one did popped, i rinsed so many time with the salt water and rivive . is it safe now to put it back ? i dont wanna lose the coral. should i take the chance ? help

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
okay , i just took the rock out , and removed all the bobbles. however one did popped, i rinsed so many time with the salt water and rivive . is it safe now to put it back ? i dont wanna lose the coral. should i take the chance ? help

Yes, put it back in. After all, it's better to have Green bubble algae then to lose your corals.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First, you need to determine which type of bubble algae that you have, as there are a number of different types, which come in difference shape, sizes and colors. Some stay very small and grow in weird shapes, which other are perfectly round and dark green. The ones that get very large, when broken, will only release spores when they're a good size. So it's safe to break the smaller ones, before they get too large, which is what most Emerald crabs do. Even if you were to break a large one the water movement in your tank would keep most of the spores from settling down. In the end you'll find that most of the spores get sucked into your overflow and caught in your filter sock. As a matter of fact it's good to check your overflow every so often, as you'll find a lot of them growing in there, especially in tanks with a lot of flow.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I had a slowly building bubble algae problem that I would siphon out with water changes once in a while. Maybe twice a year.

I have a 75 gallon tank and a 30 gallon sump. When I added a small fuge section to my sump and started growing cheato the bubble populations completely disappeared.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That was me. The spores are not in the fluid in the bubble, they are in the 'skin' if they are anywhere.

Better late than never?

dennis

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I had a small bubble algae problem procrastinated and wow! some months later it was real bad. It was hard to reach in the tank to syphon the algae out. So i put my MP40 on full or the max my tank can handle, used a tooth pick to dislodg the algae and get them free floting in the water columb. Then i used a fish net in a back and foth motion to scoup them out. Repeat this as needed untill you are satisfied, you may also want to use a small power head to reach any dead areas in the back of tank and rock work to suspend some of the alge that has setteled in those areas.
Hay works for me...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: