aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Oh boy dumb of me didnt wear the goggles cut the zoo and it squirt zoo juice in my right eye ....... i used contact disinfectant all over my eye, I read in calfo's book - a very bad eye infection...... OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG. lets hope not. Any other thing i should do w/ my eye jeebus rince with cup stuff.... brb any suggestions. ----------------------

halp me!!! :O :smash:

R32Brightliner

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Not good Aaron. From what I understand the zoanthids produce a toxin that causes puts sensory nerves to sleep ie. the area the nerves go to become numb.

I would make sure you flush your eyes with water for 5-10 minutes. If you get any change in vision or strange sensation in your eyes I would go to the emergency room.

Hope this helps.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Man ,
what where you thinking .

Flush your eye out well with contact solution ,and go tot the doctors ,
Listen to R32 ,he knows best .Good luck Aaron .

Guys please think about your reef as much as poss.
After all you are dealing with Mother Nature ,which to me holds the strongest force on this planet .

Hope its nothing ut a squirt in the eye and a lession well learned

Glass ,gloves .masks .when fragging anything

Keep us posted aaron ,and if you see or feel anyhting ,do to the doctor ,you only have 2 eyes

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry to hear that, Emergency room is a must tell them what there dealing with.

An old one from RC

"Palytoxin
The crude ethanol extracts of the Palythoa toxica proved to be so toxic that an accurate LD50 was difficult to determine. More recently, the toxicity has been determined to be 50-100 ng/kg i.p. in mice. The compound is an intense vasoconstrictor; in dogs, it causes death within 5 min at 60 ng/kg. By extrapolation, a toxic dose in a human would be about 4 micrograms. It is the most toxic organic substance known!
Shimizu [27] and Moore [28] published the chemical structure of palytoxin and it was prepared synthetically in 1989 [29,30]. Palytoxin is a fabulously interesting compound, with a bizarre structure and many extraordinary signs (Fig. 6). Palytoxin is a large, very complex molecule with lipophilic and hydrophilic areas. The palytoxin molecule has the longest continuous chain of carbon atoms known to exist in a natural product. In the molecule of palytoxin, C129H223N3O54, 115 of the 129 carbons are in a continuous chain.. There are 54 atoms of oxygen, but only 3 atoms of nitrogen. Another unusual structure of palytoxin is that it contains 64 stereogenic centers, which means that palytoxin can have 264 stereoisomers! Added to this, the double bonds can exhibit cis/***** isomerism, which means that palytoxin can have more than 1021 (one sextilion) stereoisomers! This staggering molecular complexity should indicate the difficult nature of designing a stereocontrolled synthetic strategy that will produce just the one correct (natural) stereocenter out of >1021 possible stereoisomers.
Palytoxin induces powerful membrane depolarization and ionic channeling [31,32]. Palytoxin is a potent hemolysin, histamine releaser, inhibitor of Na/K ATPase, and a cation ionophore [33]. It is also a non-TPA-type tumor promoter [34,35].

Zoanthids are they toxic? I have to say YES! Yesterday I was getting ready for the Ohio frag swap. I was working over a rubbermade tub and my dog was sitting next to me as she always did. I got up to get some more gumbands to close the bags and when I returned she had her head in the tub. I thought nothing about it. Dogs always stick their heads in things. 12:30

I went to the frag swap and was having a really good time. An I got a call on my cell phone. My wife called to tell me that the dog was sick. 2:00

I hung around for a bit after I talked to my wife. Dogs get sick all of the time (right)?

She called again told me to come home. 3:00

I came home and the dog greeted me at the door but she was very lethargic. My wife told me to take the dog to the vet. 4:30

I took her to the vet. At this point I had to carry her from my truck. I talked to the vet and I had no idea of what could be the problem. He ran some tests on her blood and from the tests he said that it looked like she had ingested some sort of toxin. A bell went off in my head!! She had her head in my tub.

I got on my cell and had a friend do some searches about Zoanthids. We found Zoanthids carry one of the most powerful toxins in the world. The toxin is called Palytoxin. I read the symptoms and wow a direct match. Did a search for a cure only to find out that there is no antitoxin.

My dog passed away at 12:15am.

I normaly would not post any thing like this or make a post this long but I wanted everyone to know that Zoanthids are very toxic. Watch when your children and pets around your tanks. I am including a list of links to the research that we did last night. I knew that there are Zoanthids were toxic but not to this level.

http://www.asanltr.com/newsletter/0...Neurotoxins.htm

http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I would take what yessongs wrote and go to the eye and ear that Fry mentioned. You have no idea what it may do to you! Your better off safe then sorry later when it could have been avoided!

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Not all zoanthids carry this toxin. But since there is no way to know for sure as far as I am concerned they all may as well have and be treated accordingly. Anthony Calfo has been hit by this 3 times as he writes in his book all from stupid mistakes. Apparently he has recovered each time after a hospital visit from what I understand so there has to be some sort of battery of treatments if caught early enough. Or you could just try windex.......

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
i think im fine guys thanks all =]

I rinsed 5 mins thoroughly with water then rinsed 4 times with contact disinfectant solution. No swelling or anything so I think all will be fine. Just gota wait till tmrw to see if there's any type of infection or swelling tmrw only time will tell. Thanks guys =]

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
might have gotten an eye infection. My eye's red possibly because i rubbed it, but it shouldnt be as red as it is now. Eye doc tmrw it is...

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
optimologist put some type of dye called flouricine chloride or some thing like that its yellow its suppose to stain the eye and numb it. He put a drop in my eye looked in through the microscope lens things and told me there was some thing foreign in my eye....... at that moment i wasl ike WAT ? he's like yea i gota drill it.... WTFFFFFFFF u gona drill my eye am i gona b blind. He's like no its only gona be a scratch on your eye. Either way you're gona have to get it removed here or the ER. Ok ...... i said... took a couple seconds left the optimologist with a red eye and some bausch lomb solution that is a type of antibacterial solution prevents infections and gota see him tomorrow.

I more then rinsed my eye under water / rinsed my eye with anti irritating solution etc and nothing worked. If you are to get some type of crap in your eye from zoos or ANY CORAL dude there's gona be some thing in your eye. I washed my eye with soap and crap and still some thing got on it anyway and he "drilled it out" dont know if he actually drilled it cuz i didnt feel anything but im gona take his word on it.
Take precaution dont be lazy those are my mistakes. A simple walk to the car to get my chem goggles and i would have been fine but I gota put these drops in once every 2 hours to prevent infection/inflammation anyhow I'm doing fine now give some more zoanthid juice update tomorrow when i go see him again. boy... o boy...
Aaron.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: