Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling for about two months already I've tested the water everything is fine. So i went to purchase a colony polyp 3 days ago. but for some reason they won't open its been 3 days and it looks like its trying to open but either than that nothing at all is happening. can someone help me

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
So many questions everyone is going to ask you:

How did you cycle it? (dead shrimp, damsel?)
Post water params?
What lights?
Live rock? Bio balls?
Define 'colony polyp'?
Sump? Canister?

Anything im forgetting to helpp answer this vague question?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycle it with damsels. So far I'm using a T5 light and about 26 watts of LED lights. There is live rocks No bio balls. Its a orange green zoanthus. I don't have a sump but a water filter with and a HOB protein skimmer. my ammonia is 0. pH is 8.2

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I have no idea then. Just give it time and if it dies, then you know you did something wrong and further research is needed on your part to correct the issue.

Please read this forum and reefcentral.com to gain more info on the hobby. Just remember, the search feature on this site is your friend.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Tubby when you say T5's what size and how many? What size tank? Do you have any other coral in the tank? If so how do they look? When you say the tank cycled how did you come to this conclusion? What are your Nitrate levels? How often and when was the last water change done. As its been said you really need to have a complete test kit if your going to keep a reef tank. The money spent will pay off in the long term health of your tank.

lynixlol

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys hes using 51 watts of T5s im his cuzin so i know. He recently dosed copper last week for ich. Now he did like. 4 water changes of 50% and i think this might be the problem. As it absorbs into his rocks and sand.

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Check you alkalinity and PH. Sometimes zoas or corals for that matter take time to adjust and open up. As long as all your parameters are fine just be patient do not over react.

Acclimation is important; however I should be honest I never acclimated any thing in my tank and I am in the hobby for almost 3 years. I am not suggesting not to do it though just sharing my experience. I have mostly SPS and nothing ever die. They are thriving.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Hey guys hes using 51 watts of T5s im his cuzin so i know. He recently dosed copper last week for ich. Now he did like. 4 water changes of 50% and i think this might be the problem. As it absorbs into his rocks and sand.

Dosed copper in the display tank? That's a huge no no. I would bet my bottom dollar that's most definitely the problem.

You can try running polyfilters, get a copper test kit and pray for the best. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yeah. Dosing copper you just killed all your coral/invert/live rock/sand possibly the silicone in the tank as well. Just to clarify, the copper leaches into the rock/sand/silicone then with leak it into your tank indefinitely.

Like I said, you need to research reef tanks before you just jump in and do it. You need to buy new sand and rock and pretty much start over now. Also, for the sake of the animals, do NOT cycle with live animals. It's like locking you in a room with 20% oxygen and poison for 6 weeks. Use a cocktail shrimp. Buy a pound, use one, eat the rest. Its a win/win.

How i started in reef tanks, I read MR and RC everyday for about 6-8 months. If you jump in this, like it seems you did, you will waste tons of cash and end up hating the hobby for your lack of research and exp.

Please research.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

This is your problem. You CANNOT add copper to a tank with corals.
You might try giving your cousin the frag and hope like heck it opens in his tank (probably not unfortunately).

Why did you decide to use copper in your tank? Did someone advise you to do that?

so I got my testing for mg, cal, alk

MG= 1700
ALK = 9dkh
Cal = 600
What kind of tests kits did you use to get these readings?
The Mg & Ca are quite high, what additive/chemical are you adding to your tank in addition to your regular salt mix?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ich in the fish tank the person at the fish store said merdel coppersafe was reef safe that is why i did it. I have the complete per. of my water

29 gallon
30lbs of live rocks
550 powerhead and 420 powerhead
HOB skimmer
HOB filter with carbon no bioball
T5 lighting 62 watts
LED 28 watts

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 5ppm
Mg 1700
cal 600
ALK 9dkh
SAL. 1.025
temperature at 78 F

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Merdel contains Chelated Copper Sulfate. In all honesty that tank will never be truly safe for a reef setup. It has also been known to kill biological filtration so watch for a sudden rise in your ammonia levels.

At this point your best bet is to tear it down and start fresh. That is a rare thing to say but I would never trust that tank for a reef setup. It will continue, along with your rock and sand to leach copper back into the water.

What brand salt are you using? Are you currently dosing anything? As Kathy said your Mg and Cal are really pretty high.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Coppersafe is not reef safe. What LFS told you this and is it the same place you purchased the zoanthid from? If so, I would go and ask for my money back.

You would need to remove the fish from your tank and treat it the proper way with either copper or the hyposalinity method to cure the fish of Ich, and keepthe tank free of fish for 6 full weeks (minimum) so the ich in the tank dies off.

You should read this link to learn about Ich and the methods used for curing it:
http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html

In regard to the copper being in the tank..that is much more of an issue to try and remove it. You could try polypads and Seachems Cuprisorb, but there is no guarantee that will work and you may need to replace you entire twnk, sand & live rock.

Copper should never ever be added to a reef tank.

Could you answer my question regarding what other additives/chemicals you have been adding to the tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: