jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Does the led system dramatically reduce electric bill? I am running PC with 2 150k halides/actinics and led moon lights. My SPS are doing well with the system I am running now, will the growth improve as well?

All the best,

James

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Using 150W halides there may be a push, in the basement cooler temps may run your heaters more eating up the savings. What size tank and PC are you running, should be easy to calculate any savings.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Thank you for that

i now have had my 120gal reef for 3 months with acan leds and the whole tank setup costs me an extra 20$ a month. I was very pleased.

I was thinking about the acan led's but not sure if I can get away with a smaller fixture. I have a 48in pc on my tank now. The dimensions are 48x18x21

~James

44santababy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
for my 120gal i bought the 36inch model 600-36b. It doesnt even cover end to end of the tank and i must reduce the white lights to 75% or i will smoke my corals. They were not cheap but worth every penny with its features, all types of dimming, and setups. On youtube check search for islandreefs.com santoli reef tank, you can see my setup with the Acan leds closeup.

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
James I have the same exact build as Santa and have 2 12" acan 104 over my tank 12" above the waterline and they seem to work well on my mixed reef, although I am debating on getting another. Does save on electric! My tank is in the basement also!

Hey Santa do you mind pm me on what ur build cost through co. U used? I may put a 120 in my office but I don't have the time to do it myself. Soup to nuts including livestock.
Thx

hey Ron make me a deal on one of those fixtures?

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If you can raise the lights to 8 to 12" off the water I'd go with the 102, other wise the 104; according to the specs both have equal # of LEDs where the 102 is more blue and 50* optics (vs 75*). If you went the DIY route go with 36 to 48 LEDs per side, 48 for heavier SPS.

Now either way you go you're going to cut the power usage in half or more, worst case is say half and very doubtful your heater will run 8 hours more per day to make the savings a wash.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: