Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (58)
Send a Private Message
Not much discussion on LEDs anymore

So like a year ago all people were talking about was LED lighting but seems like that topic has vanished. LEDs have been out for sometime now . So for the LED guys whats your verdict on LED lights. Not talking to the guys who never used them before "Jerl" . I for one have the Acans and as for growth i am seeing good growth on my corals and im thinking more then the T5s but my colors are not as WOW as the T5s. I want to hear from the guys that had t5s MHs or VHO who switched to LEDs and the brand they are using. What di you think so far and are you sticking with them or thinking of switching back?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Reefer Ratings: (17 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
i'm running ACANs also and at 7pm i only run 100% blues and every coral in my tank is absolutely vivid/popping with colors.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
I too have ran ACAN and i got rid of them and went back to t5 MH combo, i put leds on my tank and started off good but after about 6-8 months they made turn for worst, started losing color and bleaching out everything in my tank even purple on rock, when i took the LEDS off and put t5 back on within a week started getting my color back, so Maybe it was me but i think LEDS still have a way to go before they can replace MH t5 lights
Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Reefer Ratings: (28 (100%)
Friends: (21)
Send a Private Message
I had 2 18" acan 104ac lights over my tank for a short time....in that time the corals did not show the colors nearly as well as T-5's. I think led's should only be used for flashlights, and lights for power indicators. lol

Rob S.

200 Gal.DD display- ATB 8.5 Deluxe Skimmer - 75 Gal Sump - Reeflo Dart - 3 Tunze 6105's- Tunze7095 Controller - Mp60wes - BRS Dual Reactors - 2 Coral Vue Lumenbrite Halides with 250wt Radiums - 48" acan led strip - ATB KD150 Ca. Reactor -Neptune Apex
Old 03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Reefer Ratings: (100 (100%)
Friends: (140)
Send a Private Message
Thanks for starting this thread James!! I have yet to make up my mind as to which way to go! I'm probably going to just get new ballasts for my fixture, and stay with my MH, but will be looking to switch out the PC for either T5 or VHO.
I am not liking what I have been reading about the leds lately. Would have loved to switch to them, but not at the risk of loosing everything.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Reefer Ratings: (71 (100%)
Friends: (97)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaftica View Post
I had 2 18" acan 104ac lights over my tank for a short time....in that time the corals did not show the colors nearly as well as T-5's. I think led's should only be used for flashlights, and lights for power indicators. lol
+1000 I noticed a lot of stuff bleached under led especially the sps I had it did not last long. I have been saying it forever LED technology for fish tanks is way too new to be reliable maybe 5-10 years down the road they will get it right and work better but as of now I'm sticking with my T5's as well. I'm running a 6 bulb nova pro and I couldn't be happier.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I have acans (104)
a couple things that I've noticed,
the fixtures funtion better higher up, I have mine 15" from water line.
I also added 1 reefbrite 48" strip all blue it adds a great color to the light especially when acan whites are up to 70% and above.
I have a mixed reef 120g 48x 24x24.
My fixture ramp up to 80% white 100% blue for four hours a day with the reefbrite on it takes just the right amount of white out of the tank.
Just my opinion
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Well I just recieved my pacific sun Metis Hyperions 4 x 150
only have them a few days now replacing 400 watt metal halide lamps
wish I did this yrs ago my cyno and diatom algae is dying off
tank is a anemone set up with some softies
tank never looked so good
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM
REEF ON!
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (33 (100%)
Send a Private Message
i think alot of it comes down to water quality and acclimation to the leds. i will not be talking about it cause i have not used em yet but i will be soon..

200DD Upgrade

RIP Frank (FRY). You will be missed.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Send a Private Message
One thing i noticed as well is im getting alot more encrusting and slower branching