Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Help, somethings gone terribly wrong.
I'm posting here as well, in hopes that someone will have an answer to what is happening in my tank. Please help..
Hi guys, as the title says; Somethings gone terribly wrong in my 30gl. reef.
I did a 10% water change last week as I normaly do, except that this time I took all my corals out of the water and placed them in buckets for about an hour.
Reason I did this was under the advice of my lfs. I was having a bit of a problem with green slime like algea on some of the rocks the corals where attached to, and on the body of some of the corals themselves. The guy at the lfs told me to gently w/a toothbrush remove the algea. I bought a baby toothbrush, so that I would have the gentless possible brush.
Anyway, I did as told. I placed all the corals back, and of course they were all closed up which did not surprise me. What did surprise me is that the next day they were still closed. After a couple of days some began to open. Most are now open, but the montipora bleached out, the frog spawn looks like it is trying to come out, the sinularia appears to have some sort of infection on it's base. I may be wrong, what is on the sinularia is some sort of dark substance, almost black, when I rubbed the spot with my finger it came right off. As it came of I noticed that it seems to have eaten away at the coral. The coral is bent over where it was eaten away at. The tentacles are not really extending, and they are purplelish in color. The brains are fine, finger leather, toadstool, some of the palups, and the hammerhead seem to be doing ok. They are openning more and more each day.
Water parameters are as follow; Temp. 82, Salinity 1.024 - 1.025, PH 8.2, Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 20ppm, dkh High, can't give you calcium results - test kit must be to old. Add upto 50 drops of 3rd.bottle with no change. In past test calcium reading has always been 500.
Can anyone figuere out what went wrong, and what should I do? Thanks for your help.
:(

Dopler

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Awibrandy,man i feel bad for what your going through.I was just wondering if you used tank water in the buckets to hold your corals in or freshly made.Maybe you were too rough with the tooth brush.i use a bottle brush around the corals to clean the alge anything real close i rub off with my finger.If i need to take a coral out of my tank i always use tank water to hold them in.Also did you let the new water sit for at least 24 hours.I let the new water sit with a power head in the bottom of the bucket for at least 24 hours in the same room as the tank so the temps are real close and i slowly add the new water back in.I have a 65 gallon tank and do a 5 gallon change every 2 weeks or so,but if my water is testing fine i dont bother.I wish you well and hope everything recovers

[ June 01, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Dopler ]

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Do you have a lot of crabs and snails? They should be handling all of your algae problems. I have NEVER had to scrub my live rock.

Have you ever checked phosphate?

I would do another 10-25% change to bring the nitrates down.

Also, it sounds like your DKH is way too low, which is probably causing the high CA.

I would stick to 10% water changes every few days until you can see an improvement.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: