ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well as most of you know i broke my system down 5 months ago due to getting ready to start my life journey with my girlfriend and save money for our future... well... lets say that did not go so well. broke the system down and sold it all to save money... then we split up. yayyy that was great. so i had nothing. months went on and i moved on and decided i need my hobby back. its the only thing that kept me happy. so i went over to my buddy russ's place and picked up a new simple solana system. so it begins all over again. im back...

i hand built my stand. i did not like the stock stand offered. way to short for me. so i built one and made it 45 inches tall. so with the tank, it sits as tall as i am so the tank is right in your face when you look at it. i love it. no bending over to see anything.

so far nothing crazy going on with it. i did a mix of carbsea's primo reef rock and south sea reef rock. im happy with it. looks like micro rock. cheap, clean, and easy. its been running for a month or so now and fully cycled. i added my first coral in a week ago and doing great so far. only thing is i STILL dont have a darn light. i been back and forth with it. i was sold on the aqua illumination nano led fixture. butttt... now im really liking the JBJ unibody led fixture that just came out. its bigger, much nicing arm hanging kit, higher watts, really nice controlable dimmer, and looks sweet. im thinking im sold on that now. ive been watching alot of videos and loving it. right now i have a little blue LED over the shroom/star polyp rock i have, and i little 2 bulb coralife on the tank. good enough until i make up my mind and call russ up to order my light.

right now its doing great. very clean. almost too clean and scares me. no algae yet, no color on rock yet, no even little build up anywhere. so im going to really take my time. first time with 100% RODI water and base rock.

esv salt
ph-8.4
amm, trite, trate- 0
calcium- 500
magnesium- 1500
dkh- 9

doing good so far. the journey begins...

IMG_20120326_154753.jpg

IMG_20120326_154801.jpg

IMG_20120326_154832.jpg

IMG_20120326_154809.jpg

IMG_20120310_181939-1.jpg

IMG_20120310_181954.jpg

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hey Ryan, really nice start. When this tank matures that rockwork will look amazing all colored up. Great job.

Russ

thanks russ. ill be seeing you soon to talk about skimmers. i am not a fan at all with this stock one and understand what you ment now lol. and i told lou about the salt. ill give u a call in a few days.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Once I've nursed the nems back to health- look at the thread on my new RSM250 one of them is on reserve for you.

I didn't forget, just had a crash. They're starting to recover now so by the time you're ready I think they will be too.

thanks alot my friend. ill check out your thread now. cant wait. we will be in touch

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
thanks guys.

my issue with the skimmer... granted there is nothing really to pull out yet cause its such a new system... but the collection cup has to be really high up to not super bubble into the collection cup. like higher then the plastic bolt that you use to adjust. i cant even put the glass top on it cause the collection cup needs to be so high. dont know if its set up wrong, but its been like this for weeks now.

and what mod? interested in that...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: