Snipes

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six-stage RO/DI Reef/Drinking Water Combo with faucet, storage tank, and other stuff. I paid $75 plus shipping. Same link from ebay (listed directly above). It's the best deal in the world. Buy from Canada.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Hey Jeff,

I got my TDS meter with my Ro/I unit from Aquaticreefcreations.com - they were great to deal with and I bought a ton for $210 - I got a 100 gpd ro/di unit, I got it retrofitted with an auto shut-off feature and an RO bypass for filtered water for the house and I got a flaot shut off switch AND I got one of each of the filters (I recently replaced these).

all that for $210 - that included a discount because I was a member

Hope that helps, after over a yer my TDS meter is reading 1-3 . STill completely awesome compared to tap water - worth the investment.

Later - House

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you check the price on Ebay for the company above you will see the following prices:

$78 - 75gpd RO 6 stage less the tank, the auto-shut-off valve and the faucet.
Shipping is $20 + $5 insurance.

$88 - 75gpd RO 5 Stage.
Shipping is $27.50 + $5 insurance.

$98 - 75gpdRO/DI 6 Stage.
Shipping is $27.50 + $5 insurance.

I purchased a 75gpd RO 5 Stage from another company on ebay, they're out of Houston, Tx and with shipping and insurance the total was $94.

Michael

Snipes

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the difference between these cheaper units and the much more expensive units? I have a 6 stage RO/DI unit with combo drinking and reef options.

Why do other people pay $450 for this same unit? Did I get a "bad" unit?

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I live in NYC, all I can say is that my RO filter needs to be serviced every 100-150 gallons or so, it filters out so much garbage. (They are supposed to be good for more than 300 gallons.)

I picked up my unit at Home Depot for $200. It came with the storage tank and fixture to hook up a fawcet.

-Alfred

P

Pauley Tang

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Anyone here switch from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tapwater Purifier to a full-fleged ro/di unit? I'm curious to know which is cheaper in the long run and filters better.

[ July 21, 2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Pauley Tang ]

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
RO/DI is much better that just RO and much cheaper than DI by itself. If the DI is plumbed after the RO unit, it just removes stuff that the RO membrane cannot. You can actually plumb in a tap water purifier after an RO unit and it works just fine.

-Alfred

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Originally posted by Pauley Tang:
Anyone here switch from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tapwater Purifier to a full-fleged ro/di unit? I'm curious to know which is cheaper in the long run and filters better.
RO/DI is much better, the ebay link above has 6 stage plus carbon tank and faucet for around $100

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RO/DI units would pay for them selves in the long run. Then again if the initial expense is a hardship and you have a small tank 40Gal. or less you may want to stick with your AP DI unit. I mean youll just have to weigh the $$. AP DI unit makes about (Im not 100%) 50/60 gal a cartridge. @ 3gal H2O changes a week we are talking about 4 or 5 months a cartridge. Wwe also have to consider tap off which for argument sake lets say is 1 gal a week then the life of the cartridge goes down to about 3 1/2 months. @ $27. a cartridge holesale you can see why a lot of folks go RODI.

[ July 21, 2003, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: 4angel ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Angel,

Man, I WISH I was only topping off my 30g with a gallon a week - in this weather, I have been going through 5-7 gallons a week. And my new 90 gal is using at least a gallon a day - and on some days more.

I think in the long run, the RO/DI makes best sense - I am using mine for home and for tank and my TDS just startind reading a total of 3 on the meter (usually at "O") and I have been using it (and selling some to a local kid as well) for over a year now.

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW thats a lot of evap. Makes me want to re consider setting up a sump on my 90. By the way how much you charging Jack whos climbing up the hill for that pail o water LOL!!

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
fifty cents a gallon for a 5 gallon bucket (it's one of those larger salt pails and actually holds 7 gallons) and every once in awhile, I don't charge him - I would venture to not charge him, but, hey, this hobby is costly, you know :)

first inhabitant into the new tank today, can't wait to migrate everyone in there.

Peace out

House

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House

That sounds like a great deal. I paid $150 for my table top RO from my LFS when I lived in an apartment. I will definitely look into a system for my house.

Jeff

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Hey guys, how hard is it to install a RO/DI unit? I am planning on buying the RO/DI 5 Stage unit from the Canadian's on Ebay but would like to know how difficult it is to install. Any comments, advice, suggestions?

Do you just install under the sink and fill your buckets with a hose? Is there always water sitting in the storage container?

Thanks guys!

[ August 07, 2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: heuerfan ]

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Steven

It's not that hard to install. It either goes right under your sink or you can leave it on you counter, if you don't get the 5gal tank. You can either used to cutter, that comes with the unit, to pierce the cold water pipe or get an add-on connector, which screws into the pipe, so you don't have to make a hole in the cold water pipe. They also sell an attachment so you can connect it to the sink faucet.

If you don't get the one with the tank then you just take the hose, that comes out of the final sage, and run it into a bucket. If you get the 5 gal tank then you just let the system fill the tank up and either shut off the system when the tank is filled, most system will automaticlly shut off when the tank is filled, and drain the water and use it. When you want to use the water just turn the system on and it will fill the 5gal tank. I just leave the 5 gal tank filled and use it when I need it, which is not more than 3 or 4 days. It all depends on how much water you use for your tanks and personal use also.

Michael

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I second that motion :)

The only thing I might recommend further is the following:

1) You more than likely don't need a 5 stage unit, 4 should do it fine - all a 5 sage does is prolong the life of the DI resin block(s)

2) When running the filter, you should do at least 10 gallons at one time. If you don't, you will find your smaller portions will get a TDS reading. This is caused by the filter not being in contant use and the first few gallons will have a reading.

3) For the 12-14 bucks, get the auto shutoff feature and float switch - this will save you many hassles and floods - another good choice with larger gains than the coast to get there.

Hope this helps,

House

A

aquadude

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
heuerfan,

I recently purchased and installed a RO/DI unit; purchased on Ebay from a canadian company as well (Probably the same). Very good price and installation was very easy. There were a few leaks when I first sat the unit up, but after tightening a couple of connection all is fine.

Very slow to make DI water. I have finished setting up a 125 gallon tank with a half as large sump; it took days of continuous running to produce the water I needed (alot of waste water too). Advertised to produce 70 gallons a day, I now understand that is the RO portion.

Overall very happy with purchase, seems like a very good price & once I got everything tight I have had no additional problems.

Also, if this is the same company they will try and sell you a box of filters after you purchase the unit, without additional shipping. It seemed like a good deal so I purchased a box along with the unit. Just thought you might like the heads up. $$$$ it never stops with this hobby.

aquadude

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: