fishguy23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Does anyone have any opinions, suggestions photos or experience for an all anemone dominated tank? I am considering converting a 40 or 50 breeder with minamilistic rockscape to house variations of Rbta and gbta's. Will this setup be sustainable over a period of time or will I encounter issues down the road? If possible, what lighting would you recommend ? Mh, t5's, or LEDs? My concerns are flow, chemical warfare, and livestock.

Last edited:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
if you are planning on keeping an all BTA tank, then you need not worry about any warfare between those two types as they are in the same family less coloration.
If you plan on adding different types of nems (ie. carpets, long tentacle, etc) then you do need to worry about them attacking each other. All will keep distances from different types as they are small, however when they get larger the tentacles can become problematic.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Cool idea and with some clownfish and host crustaceans that would be an interesting display. Makes me want to try doing that also.
I would like to suggest using some really hollow rockwork, like a dry pukani rock. They will be less likely to roam if they have a lot of deep crevaces for their foot to grab onto.

The effect on bio load will reflect what they are eating. My BTA hardly ever expelled waste, but I stopped feeding mine a long time ago. When I fed it was always fresh shrimp enriched in a vitamin supplement.

As for colors,
GBTA and RBTA are great but there are also some hybrid colors. I picked up a cool BTA called a watermellon.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/images/large/b_rose_bubble_tip_b13.jpg[/FONT]

selkoner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.4%
114   3   0
If you do a 40gl my brother go with a skimmer that does twice as much ... 100 GL that works great .. So u don't have any problems ... And go led less heat... Also I would do mp20 w es so you can control the flow but besides that the rest is easy ... Hit me up if you need help ...

fishguy23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Thx for all the suggestions. I have a euro reef rs80 I can use, I currently have a mixed reef and softies setup, just looking at different ways to keep myself entertained lol.

MarvinsReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a clownfish/anemone tank and have been happy with it since I converted it last November. I'm not sure if a 40-50g tank will house too many BTA's but should be cool to have a nice pair of designer clowns to watch the interaction between clowns and nems. what I would suggest is design a system with a closed loop so you don't have worry about powerheads. also, having a very nice skimmer does help along with small water changes a few times/month. good luck. :)

I have a 210 have roughly 14 anemones with a mix of different species and I love the way they look. I never get bored of watching them flow in the current or have my 7 clowns swim in and out of each one. Advice, if you have or plan to get Vortech powerheads keep the foam pad on them or figure out a way to keep your anemones away, they can and will somehow find a way to get stuck in them and that will cause some serious issues if the tissues rips. Also, if you suspect a bad anemone do not leave it in the tank and take the chance of it getting better in the same tank as the rest of your nems, just try to set something else up and keep it out of the same water as the rest, when one goes sour it can cause a chain reaction and possibly affect your fish. Dead or dying anemones cause a huge ammonia spike. Lastly, keep them well fed so they don't move around as much as you can expect them to move.

In my system I have a Deltec SC1060 good for close to 400G and I run GAC and GFO all the time. I also have a large fuge connected to the DT tank system

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Reefs

fishguy23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Exactly, I have had bad experiences in the past when nems wander into ph's or clog overflow.......but would like to setup something similar to yours.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Nems don't like sand bed, you can isolate your aquascape into an island; make sure the island is away from the glass too. If you were to use powerheads that can alternate(like the Vortech), you can set a current around the island and the nem don't like to wander over the current. This technique is common in some larger setups in ReefCentral threads. Try a search and you can find videos of them. I frequently use the same method and they works wonders. Furthermore, when the nem are of a reasonable size and that clowns are hosting in them, the nems usually don't walk. The clowns will keep the nem in the place they want them to be either by feeding them, beating them or simply caressing them with love.

Last edited:

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
I agree 100% with Wingo. I currently have 11 in my tank and they stay in the island I created for them. I've only had one that actually tries to walk on the sand. My setup will eventually be a bta only tank. I love them all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: