beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey all,

Although I still have a small tank, I've been more out of the hobby than in for awhile since I broke down my 75g.

My situation has been changing a bit, and I might find myself with a 120g and someone to help me take care of it soon. (I'm fine with day to day stuff, but don't have time for big water changes and such, which is why I broke down the 75g.)

So here's the question...

Those of you who know me know that I've been in the game for awhile, and I've had a ton of different fish, corals, etc. If I get the new tank, I'd like to do something different, and so I'm coming to all of you for ideas.

I've considered doing a wall reef tank, I've thought about a biotope, but I wanted to see what ideas other people had. I can't go too nuts, so no jellyfish, seahorses, or non-photosynthetic tanks, but I'm open to other ideas.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
i would suggest going shallow, they are so easy to work on, relatively easy to scape and if you go 4 feet or more you can still have a tank or two.

i would go with a custom rock walled shallow with a lot of negative space on the rear wall and various islands for depth..

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ah, see... YOUR tank is the type of thing I'm looking for. Love the waterfall look, and I like the idea of shallow. I was actually thinking about constructing a rubble wall with eggcrate on the back of the tank to simulate the type of environment you'd see on a wall dive.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Beer if you needed insight or any help I'd be glad to help. I have some crazy scape ideas. I'll be upgrading myself this year and can't wait to go larger. Been 5 years since I have had a tank that wasn't considered a nano lol

If you explore with foam just make sure you let everything cure properly. There's a lot of conflicting information on the web about it. I spoke to many manufactures and chemists within company's and was pretty confident in the end.

I'm sticking with shallow tanks just going to make a larger version of my tank.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
How about a shallow tank that is designed to be viewed from above that contains only large colonies of Monti cap and other scrolling corals?

Love that idea, but I'm not sure how much space I'll have. That sounds like it would be awesome in a shallow rimless or zero edge tank viewable from all four sides. It's on the list of things to consider though...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: