MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
sorry to hear and it very nice of you to offer his money back, but he shouldn't accept it..As mentioned sold as in condition and he should have water tested it first if he never seen water in it beforehand....

I will personally offer a warranty(for a small fee) against any full tank... IMPLODING!
Hey Alfie how much do you charge and is it too late to get the warranty...LOL

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Really cool of you to offer the money back.

If u give money back. Be sure to get the tank back just so u don't end up a victim yourself and he gets a free tank.

thanks,

after speaking with the buyer (again) i told him i would pay half for many of the reasons cited in earlier posts on this thread.. he is thinking about it which to me is hysterical. im not sure how many people on craigslist would be offering him this.

in the end i look at it this way: wasnt my basement that got soaked, i know i didnt try to take advantage of anyone, and certainly glad it wasnt anyone on this forum who got "wet"

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Honestly if you offered him his full money back and he didn't take it now you offer half and he's "thinking about it" then honestly F him bro he's full of it either it didn't happen or he's trying to play the sympathy card and get more money either way at this point tell him forget it. He can't do anything to you legally. You of all people should know he has no legal leg to stand on and if he did try and take you to court I would be more than happy to make him look like a moron in court =]

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Did you let him know that you were not the original owner?

You are not the loser here.
When you buy a used tank you will be exposed to this kind of thing happening. When you buy a tank from someone who bought a tank from someone else you have even more problems.
Has the buyer taken any responsibility for doing what was required to protect him from this from happening? Which is leak testing in a safe place.
That's it, end of story.
This is a bad situation and we all feel bad for this guy especially if there was any kind of damage from this.
But this can and does happen when you buy a used tank.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I dunno if anyone here remembers but almost a year ago, someone was selling a 155 bowfront tank and stand in oak trim (I think) for $200. Absolutely NO takers for about 8 months. I think the guy had it in his garage and lots of people were fully committed to buying it so long as he would water test it in his garage. He stated that he didn't want waste 155 gallons of water. While I can appreciate that, who would move a tank that size without water testing it before buying it or before bringing it into the house?

Not your fault Joe. On this site and ESPECIALLY on Craigslist EVERYONE knows that it is buyer beware. People are nervous buying things on Craiglist for good reason and they should exercise more caution when purchasing anything. There was no warranty offered or implied but if you're dealing with your own personal morals steering you to offer him any money back than that's cool but make sure you're not getting played. Have him send you pictures of the tank from all angels and water on the floor and the wet/dry vac he used and the mountain of towels and blankets he used in the emergency situation he had to clean up.

How do you know he didn't try to drill or or maybe even cut the center braces out for unobstructed lighting and the glass bowed to the point that it began leaking.

Bottom line is if the guy didn't know enough to water test it, then the guy is probably a novice and didn't know to level it. There are so many other variables too. What if he dropped a huge piece of slate, granite or Texas Holey rock and cracked it. What if he chipped a corner when it was being moved.

Put those DT skills in to effect and if the guy is near by, take a look at the tank and examine the situation before you shell out a dime. As much as people on CL have to beware of who they're buying from, sellers have to beware of who they're selling to as well. I'd say my dealings on CL are 99% excellent experiences and the few that are unsavory don't detract from the rest but we definitely need to be aware of them and be prepared to deal with them.

Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I dunno if anyone here remembers but almost a year ago, someone was selling a 155 bowfront tank and stand in oak trim (I think) for $200. Absolutely NO takers for about 8 months. I think the guy had it in his garage and lots of people were fully committed to buying it so long as he would water test it in his garage. He stated that he didn't want waste 155 gallons of water. While I can appreciate that, who would move a tank that size without water testing it before buying it or before bringing it into the house?

Not your fault Joe. On this site and ESPECIALLY on Craigslist EVERYONE knows that it is buyer beware. People are nervous buying things on Craiglist for good reason and they should exercise more caution when purchasing anything. There was no warranty offered or implied but if you're dealing with your own personal morals steering you to offer him any money back than that's cool but make sure you're not getting played. Have him send you pictures of the tank from all angels and water on the floor and the wet/dry vac he used and the mountain of towels and blankets he used in the emergency situation he had to clean up.

How do you know he didn't try to drill or or maybe even cut the center braces out for unobstructed lighting and the glass bowed to the point that it began leaking.

Bottom line is if the guy didn't know enough to water test it, then the guy is probably a novice and didn't know to level it. There are so many other variables too. What if he dropped a huge piece of slate, granite or Texas Holey rock and cracked it. What if he chipped a corner when it was being moved.

Put those DT skills in to effect and if the guy is near by, take a look at the tank and examine the situation before you shell out a dime. As much as people on CL have to beware of who they're buying from, sellers have to beware of who they're selling to as well. I'd say my dealings on CL are 99% excellent experiences and the few that are unsavory don't detract from the rest but we definitely need to be aware of them and be prepared to deal with them.

As most of your posts are..... Very Well Said!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I wouldnt sweat it anymore. I wouldnt make any more contact with the guy. If he says he is thinking about it then he must feel a little guilty about something, maybe he is not being 100% honest with you. Also the tank is used, always up to the buyer to ensure what is he buying functions as it should. I would have told you to water test in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: