thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I recently bought 200g tank, then decided against setting it up and sold it: guy calls me today and says the silicone seal broke an flooded his basement! I emailed aquaholics, who told me tank would be good for 30 years, to see if hed do rt thing here and of course ill jold my breath for reply! This is a disgrace and im heated!

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
Who is aquaholics?
That was brand new tank or used? Did you sale it with stand or w/o?
If w/o stand what this guy used to put this aquarium on? Do you trust him that happen because of silicone? What about not leveled correctly stand or some junk?
I'm doing tanks almost 20 years and have heard many stories but trust me sometimes is customer fault.
Check it if you can.

Regards,
mark

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Well to be totally fair the guy should have water tested it before hand. Any smart person would have it outside full of water for a few days before bringing it in the house and filling it with 200 gallons of water! Like Reefo said there are other issues that could have affected it as well so personally I would either let the company deal with it or tell the guy he should have tested it first. You have ZERO fault. You did not make the tank or use it previously to know of any issues.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
i should have posted that brand: it was a standard 210 AGA tank, not predrilled which is why i sold it.
aquaholics is a maintenance compnay in denville, they guy was very nice when i picked up tank and factory stand. He told me tank was fine, and it would last me longer than my interest in hobby!

Pat, you have know idea how glad we didnt swap tanks! i feel bad for guy, he "should" have water tested it before hand and didnt, i could have as well. it could be any reason why it happened i suppose

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well to be totally fair the guy should have water tested it before hand. Any smart person would have it outside full of water for a few days before bringing it in the house and filling it with 200 gallons of water! Like Reefo said there are other issues that could have affected it as well so personally I would either let the company deal with it or tell the guy he should have tested it first. You have ZERO fault. You did not make the tank or use it previously to know of any issues.

+1 well put

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
He could have banged it going into the house. Stand could have been drastically off level all sorts of things could have happened. Plus the manufacturer will tell you everything to show his tank is the best. Did you think he was going to say tank will last 5 years and implode lmao

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Any tank I ever get used I would test like has been said. It would sit outside on the stand for a week or so and checked often. You may feel bad and it's admirable you offering to give him his money back but sometimes s#%$ happens.

good luck with further dealings in this situation

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Well I bought it used, then changed mind and resold, yes it held water at one time. I didn't specify " as is " when i sold it, hind sight I should have.

No matter dice it, awful situation. I offered money back haven't heard from him since

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Well I bought it used, then changed mind and resold, yes it held water at one time. I didn't specify " as is " when i sold it, hind sight I should have.

No matter dice it, awful situation. I offered money back haven't heard from him since

Basically, I assume you sold it to a person whom you do not know before. I can understand how bad your feeling is currently. However, you also have to expect the buyer to feel that you are cheating him. If the sale is NOT based on a friendship thing, anyone would assume the seller is at fault. It's much better that you are just a hobbyist, if it's a vendor selling, 1001 fingers are already pointing at the seller. I hope you get in touch with the buyer soon enough to communicate the situation-the longer the silence, only worse feeling(from the seller) will arise. I can tell you, the buyer is very likely to think that you have put water in the tank, found that it leaks and so you sell it. I witness this kind of allegations all the time. Therefore, the only hope is that he is an understanding person and consider his action accordingly. Pointing the finger at the buyer will only get the situation worse.

Hope the whole thing smooth out quickly.

Last edited:

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I dont fault guy for being upset at all, i iNstinctively offered to pay him his money back. I feel thats right thing to do, sux bc i aold the tank to purchase new one so i guess ill be doing smaller tank or holding off for bit. I also pm'd vendor here where guy lives to see if he can reseal tank for him : ive bought used tanks before, its risky but cost effective but precaution always taken in form of filling tank and let sit for few days

Last edited:

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your too nice

All used stuff on this site is "as is". No way you should refund his money. It's not your fault. Once it leaves your property it's his. If he drops it going into the house it's not your fault. Who knows what happened but the buyer assumes the responsibility once he buys it!

Note to guy who bought the tank. Don't take advantage of a nice guy. Don't take his money. Learn from YOUR mistake and like someone said earlier test a big tank in a safe location for a few days.

If this guy takes the money back no one on this site should sell anything to him again. Have a nice day:)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: