• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Alright, I'll soon be taking down my 44 gal pentagon tank. At first I was just going to toss it since the top few inches of glass is stained/scratched. But then I though, hey it fits perfect where it is, why not make it a frag tank. It's too tall I told myself. Well then, cut it, myself told I. So heres what im thinking. The tank is 25" tall, way to high for a frag tank, and the silicon need resealing real soon. I want to take apart the tank, remove all silicon and cut the glass down to between 12"-18"(have not decided yet), then put it all back together. Drill it, add a small sump and presto a nice frag tank. My problem is I know nothing about replacing silicon in an aquarium and even less about cutting the glass down. Am I crazy for doing this? Any tips? Suggestions? Everyone add your 2 cents. In case you dont know what shape this tank is here is a pic. Thanks in advance.

4a19790a.jpg

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Large supply of new, fresh razor blades. Diamond tip glass cutter. Straight edge. White vinegar. Aquarium safe silicone. Ideally, a pre-made jig set up to re-attach the glass in a difficult six sided, leak proof, finished product. Easy enough with a rectangular tank, but much more precision is required for a hex tank.

Russ

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Not tempered.
It's actually only five sides. The only odd angle is the front panel. Otherwise it's essentially a cube. 4 panels at 90* and the front at 45*. And if a jig is needed the bottom trim would do the trick.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Not tempered.
It's actually only five sides. The only odd angle is the front panel. Otherwise it's essentially a cube. 4 panels at 90* and the front at 45*. And if a jig is needed the bottom trim would do the trick.

Your geometry doesn't work here. It's impossible to have a five sided pentagon with four 90 degrees and one 45 degree angles. All angles added up MUST = 360 degrees ;)

Russ

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thx fixations. Thats the way. Like I said basically a cube but the front corner is cut at 45*.
I'm thinking this is gonna be easier said then done though. First thing is in not the best at silicon. So I'm gonna need someone to do that. We'll see how it goes though. I was gonna toss the tank anyway, so might as well make a project with it.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
If you're going to try to cut the glass yourself make sure you have proper safety equipment (gloves, glasses), and the cut edges will have to be ground so they don't pose a risk. Could be dangerous work.

+1

A belt sander to polish the edges is a great way to go.

The clarification of the tank shape and angles makes a huge difference. Thnx for that. I thought it was a typical hex or pent.

Good luck with the project.

Russ

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Reduce the water level to the height you like and no need cut anything or reseal anything..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that would just be to easy won't it. My wife said why don't you just build a stand in the tank for the rack to sit higher. That would be to easy too.

As far as cutting. I have every intention of finding someone to do that for me.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Removing the silicon on the edges takes hours of tedious work and fresh blades. The term "project" is an understatement if you ask me. - and I'm all about projects and DIY

If you can use the original glass and salvage useable pieces and not have to remove all that silicone then I would attempt it.

Last edited:

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Seems like lots of work. to get the supplies to make the modification and work involved, you probably better of buy a new tank, and it's NEW...lol!

Can you make it into a rectangle frag tank, this way you probably have less glass to cut. It would be cool to do but too much work, and possible cuts. Good luck on the Project.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that would just be to easy won't it. My wife said why don't you just build a stand in the tank for the rack to sit higher. That would be to easy too.

As far as cutting. I have every intention of finding someone to do that for me.

Cutting glass is relatively simple. Especially thin glass like this. A decent score line and than a 2x4 will do it. also rough sand paper will take down the sharp edges. Wont get the clean polish look but safer

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Your geometry doesn't work here. It's impossible to have a five sided pentagon with four 90 degrees and one 45 degree angles. All angles added up MUST = 360 degrees ;)

Russ

Russ are you sure that the sum of all angles of a pentagon MUST = 360? Is it a square or a rectangle? The sum of all interior angles is 540.

P. S. 180*(n-2) were n is the number of sides of the polygon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: