thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
FYI you can backfeed your panel and it is totally legal. As long as you do it properly. There is a device called an INTERLOCK kit. I have a Square-d box and they make their own.

What you do is install a 30 or 50 amp breaker (which ever you need for your generator) It usually gets installed in the top right location in your box.

Then this device is a plate that you slide up that allows you to turn on the Generator breaker. But this slide can only be slid up if the MAIN breaker is in the off position, and then vice versa. To turn the main power back on you need to turn the generator breaker off.

Totally legit and really no danger. The problem comes when people back feed without something to block the main power from coming back on. I know people who do it and not a good idea, since if you forget to turn off the main breaker then you are screwed if the power comes back on when you generator is running.

This is the one for my panel, i already ordered it from Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_147182-296-HOMCGK2C_0__?productId=3449746&Ntt=square+d+interlock&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsquare%2Bd%2Binterlock&facetInfo=

But there are aftermarket ones like this one.

http://www.interlockkit.com/interlockselect2.html

And installtion of a whole house generator should run you about 8k IMO for a generac. The kohler systems are better (i have researched) but you can get them for $5k vs the $4500 for the generac. No way installation should be 6-8k alone that is just crazy. But it is true that it matters where it needs to be installed. Where mine would go is right next to where the panel and gas meter are.

Also there are different types of transfer switches, you want the LINE transfer switch so that the whole service is switched as one. The transfer switch is a little more, but it does not require any work in your panel directly, it is installed in between the Service (meter) and the panel.

Please if anyone has their generator backfed and not protected by some sort of saftey device please get the device installed. If you happen to have a fire it will be pretty easy to see where the fire was and if it was during a power outage you know that they will be looking directly to see if a generator was present.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Saw someone returning two of those generators to Costco for that reason.

As per my electrician if you need a new NG line run for installing a generator just the plumbing can cost over 3,000. Location where you can install the gen depends on windows and consumable materials such as fences per local guidelines.

Last edited:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
You can dig the trench and lay the gas line yourself if you know what you are doing. Then have it inspected.

while i'm digging, i might as well make a moat to keep out looters also....complete with some piranha and alligators.....lol.

i'll be looking into a manual switching one or back feed with a safety lock like thirthy5 had mentioned. wonder if it'll be better to wait for all the hype die down a bit. might be hard to find deals on generator/installation right now?....just thinking.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: