pwreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Buying a generator is real easy. You need a licensed plumber and electrician to properly install a whole-house NG generator and fill out all necessary permits. My guesstimate is that a $3K generator will cost $6-8K to install. I am actually interested if this is the right ballpark. Let me know. :)

DRENALYN9

HALF-A-FLIP
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Installing one of the natural gas ones is defintly the way to go. You will need a plumber for the fuel lines and an electrician for the electrical work. Wouldn't think itswould be more than $1500-$2000 for the installation on the average job. It all varies on the location where you put it, how much fuel line that needs to be ran. And how easy it will be to rewire the power lines to the autoswitching fuse box. Thats the safest and best way. Especially since if there is also a gas shortage you would be fine as long as you still have natural gas.

Then you have an other option.

It's not to legal code and can be dangerous if your not careful.

Using a gas powered generator.

You install a 20amp outlets outside that has it's own breaker. You make a double male heavy duty 20amp cord.
When you lose power you turn off your main breaker. Flip on the dedicated breaker for the 20amp cord and plug the other side to your generator.
That will make a negative feed allowing you to power your whole house. (If you have a generator large enough)

This can be dangerous. If your not careful. The reason why is.

Your main breaker must be off, because if not you will power your neighborhood.

AND...

If the power goes on and your main breaker is open. And the generator is on.

THE GENERATOR WILL MOST LIKELY EXPLODE!!!!

But if your carefull it works perfect.

DRENALYN9

HALF-A-FLIP
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Its actually is called a "back feed" not a negative feed.

And when it comes to the breaker and the outlet you can even do 30amp 50amp.

You use the appropriate size for the generator you choose

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
My neighbor had this wired through his dryer circuit in a similar way. It works but you must know what you are doing.

Anyone know if a group buy will reduce the prices on these?
I like the 20kw

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I'm planning for a full house and future capacity.
It's not that much more and wouldn't you rather have the reserve capacity when you need it?
I see these as equity, I would pay another 10k to buy a house with a NG wired in generator.

DRENALYN9

HALF-A-FLIP
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Be careful with the generac 20k. on amazon.com there is a lot of bad feedback. If I needed a large one I would definitely go with a kohler. It's more money but the motor has a better design.

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also have a manual transfer switch installed and a generator outlet installed on the outside of your house. It's much safer and less expensive than an auto transfer switch and NG generator.

You would still need a portable generator to use with the manual transfer switch. But your looking at $1000 - $1,500 plus installation instead of $6-7k.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RELIANCE-Manual-Transfer-Switch-Kit-2KEP3?gclid=CMyrlt6BuLMCFU-d4AodQxUAAg&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Outdoor%20Equipment-_-Generators-_-2KEP3&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2KEP3&ef_id=UIrSPAAAXcvtm1d5:20121105141450:s

Last edited:

Custom05Taco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You can also have a manual transfer switch installed and a generator outlet installed on the outside of your house. It's much safer and less expensive than an auto transfer switch and NG generator.

You would still need a portable generator to use with the manual transfer switch. But your looking at $1000 - $1,500 plus installation instead of $6-7k.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RE...2KEP3&ef_id=UIrSPAAAXcvtm1d5:20121105141450:s

That still leaves the problem that we all found out. That in a true natural disasters there is no to very limited gas. Natural gas is the way to go!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Be careful with the generac 20k. on amazon.com there is a lot of bad feedback. If I needed a large one I would definitely go with a kohler. It's more money but the motor has a better design.

I'm looking at diesel generators...

the Generac are air cooled, high RPM engines, and I'd like to hear people's experience after running them 24/7 for this storm...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: