flyrfrk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for like 15lbs of cured live rock and have called like 3-4 stores and they all want $9/lb or more. Is this normal? I live in NYC where do you all get your live rock? Ill be in North New Jersey on Friday/Sat if there are any stores out that way. Looking for suggestions. Thanks

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
are you looking for this rock to start a new tank or add to existing setup

i have never bought lr from a store and would never buy live rock from someone in the future. i prefer baserock and let the rock seed itself in time. no unwanted pests this way, unless of course your adding to establlished tank with some critters in already just a thought

if your set on buying live rock, buy it from someone here, cheaper and in most cases cared for better than a lfs

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Live rock is expensive because it is expensive to ship and it is also "controlled" and requires CITES permits. Wholesale, uncured, high quality rock costs the stores about $4-6/LB, they then lose some to breakage and decomposition and it takes time to cure it. (When I did wholesale I was getting real nice Caribbean rock straight from the source for $2.50/LB plus about another $75 per box in freight charges- and this was over 12 years ago)

You can get it cheaper buying from another reefer that is selling off their rock, but the good stuff usually starts at about $6/LB.

Another option is to buy marco rock. I saw it at the swap and it is really nice stuff. It is "dead" but in many ways it is better to start off with "dead" rock so that you don't end up with any unwelcome hitchhikers.

Alfred

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Maxmium Reef is having Black Friday sale this Friday and Saturday. Live rock will cost you half price. So I would try to make it there if you could. I always pickup extra Live rock on they Black Friday. Maximum Reef Aquatics Inc
1575 Central Park Ave
Yonkers,NY 10710
(914)667-7717
Maxreefaquatics.com

Last edited:

flyrfrk33

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone - I know why its expensive it just sucks. ha

I am trying to add 15 or so lbs to my already running tank, so dry rock and curing it isnt really an option.

Just saw that manhattan aquarium is having a nice 25% off sale this whole weekend as well.

thanks everyone

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have read mixed reviews on this. Some people have had moderate PO4 spikes after using marco rock and others have not. Most rinsed the rock several times and let it sit in RO/DI water for a week.

It is real cheap and looks good. I would love to hear other experiences... I was considering going this route with the next nano I set-up.

Alfred

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
My 50lbs of Marco rock needed to be cured. But looking at their website, it looks like they have some that are "pre-cured" in increments of 25lbs. Take it for what it's worth.

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i have new marco rock in my tank now that i added to my already existing rock. My process(fwiw) rinsed the rock in R.O.water placed in in a empty 30 gal,with water from my dt during water changes with a pump for water movement and heater on the second week(partial cure?) about two weeks or so placed in my tank. Zero issues. i agree on buying from fellow reefers but screen the rock you place in your tank or qt it,seriously! everything i ever had(aptasia,cyano ect.) came after my initial rock purchase from other reefers rock. that extra dollar a pound in a sale can save you many dollars in crisis management later.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I bought Pukani rock which is similar to Marco. And it is loaded with PO4 also.
I used a muriatic acid bath and it worked really well. Dissolved all the organics and is in my system now. Will be doing it again soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: