duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Well my corals are one by one going down the drain and i am right out of ideas. checked all parameters and everything seems fine. dipped many sps looking for pests and none are coming off. had problems with the salinity but it has since been corrected and then had alot of rust come out of a hand held glass scraper which is my next guess. Im thinking of doing a 20 to 25 gallon water change. Will this cause more harm then good cause the parameters will change? i have 100 gallons TWV. so upset i cant figure this out

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
duke i just did a 50 gallon water change after some serious fragging and ill be doing a 75g on the one year anni of my tank and to be honest after a big water change like that my corals always look so much more healty and they grow faster too i mean i dont know ur system like that and u have a complete different corals but def go for it it will help

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
yes a small alk swing maybe a month ago. my biggest problem with the big water change is i have only one extra heater. im going to use 5 5 gallon buckets. maybe i can just put them upstairs in my fishtank room. it gets pretty warm in there

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
yes a small alk swing maybe a month ago. my biggest problem with the big water change is i have only one extra heater. im going to use 5 5 gallon buckets. maybe i can just put them upstairs in my fishtank room. it gets pretty warm in there

Then you need to borrow some heaters first. The water will never get warm enough just because a room is warm. You certainly don't need to compound the issue by using water that is the wrong temp!

Last edited:

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
in my 10 years of reefing once the corals start rtn ot stn its very hard to save them
cut them into frag or glue the part the dead
if they are stn some thing is up in the tank

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
well i was going to use the 1 heater i have a 300 watt and bring the bucket up to temp then pt it in the next bucket spill that water into the tank by that time the water in the 5 gallon would be ready. done it before on 10 gallons of water it seemed to be ok but i will look for 2 more heaters

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Duke I have a 20 gal brut can you are welcome to borrow but if I were you I would run to homedepot and pick up a 44 gal brut can. This is what I use to mix my new salt and I have don multiple 40 gal water changes in my 120.
I'm not sure about the rtn but the water change is not going to hurt.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Find the reason, i hope u will.

The water change is not going to hurt for sure , but try to find the reason of RTN or STN , in my case i got a way to much Carbon in my Tank , from Biopellets and Calcium Reactor (over size, 700 gal. Reactor use on 150 gal. tank ) and got greedy w/Biopellets (by using two Bp. reactors) the PH probe, was against me to, i realize when i see red slime algae and hair algae (never have before, when i was dosing) .

Last edited:

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I feel your pain... Just don't rush because can make things worse when your not thinking
I would test with someone else kits to make sure
Alk is sps worse enemy beside bugs
Big Water change will not hurt but only do one then wait
Anyway setting up another tank or giving coral to someone else to see if they do better
I have heaters to borry tomorrow

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Duke, Personally I would frag as much healthy coral from the colonies as you can.

I've experienced stn and rtn in the past year.

I have only had luck saving STN'ing corals by fragging them above the stn. Glueing never worked for me.

Stable parameters are the only thing you can do from now. Doing some water changes will only benefit you if you make sure your salinity, temp, and alk/cal/mag is matched.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: