jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Duke did you stop the carbon dosing? Can you tell me what carbon method and dosing amounts you were using? have you been losing any acros from the tips?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
PO4 is low. checked it 2 weeks ago at a friends house using hanna. well seems like my garf is recovering. it was turning white underneath last week and just looked and new skin seems to have covered over a bit. maybe things will get better or just false hope

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I told u u its bacterial ..... it happened to me to also.I would run a uv stetilizer on the tank maybe it will help out .my guess is when sandy hit us a friend of mine had lost power on his tank I offered to hold some of his corals for him till he was back up I didnt have room for everyyhing so duke took a few smaller frags to hold .after that we started lossing some stuff I didnt lose any sps or had any stn issues in my acros but I did loss a few of my nicer montis.and a few chalices .my water parameters are pretty spot on me and duke test more than we should and do religous mantanince .who knows I can be wrong but im guessing this is what had happened .also I didnt pick the corals up from a freind right away it was a few days with no power so his corals were stressed to begin with im guessing and some how they picked up a bacteria

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you have Poylp and lost tissue. Leave it alone. Do nothing. As long you have Poylp it doesn't matter about tissue. That will come back. Leave it alone and stop stressing it anymore. Let it run its course. If everything else is good. Good chance it will come back. I had two SpS turn white in 2 days. I still saw a very small Poylp and I left it in tank. Week by week I saw tissue growing back. Today it's doing very well. Skin and color is back. We can not tell if its totally death. You just ride it out and let nature take care for itself. As long everything is normal let time decide its fate.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can't understand that this going on for some time now. And nobody seems to have an answers to least stop STN from continue to spread. I have SPS for over two years now and once in awhile would have frag get STN. But I knew it was from my Phosphates or Alk to high or low. Once corrected never spread. In your case they no explanation to why this is still going on and nobody has an answers. Just to say we are missing something if its a test that we don't know about yet. Bacteria was mention. What about adding some bacteria to fight off the other bacteria that might be spreading this. Sounds like a long shot But nothing to lose.

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
im adding zeobak now but been adding that for a while now. im going to wait another week to see what happens. i have done big water changes,added poly pad,took away the kalk from ATO and stopped dosing everything including flatstop. Im going to do 5 gallon water changes every other day and wait for scwa to get back to me with my water test results. I am also checking my alk every day to see if there is any swings at different times of the day.

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358032628.094264.jpgthis stuff is supposed to work, but it's prescription only

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
The most effective antibiotic against the organism that causes RTN is chloramphenicol (CAM, CMP.) This antibiotic is available through vets. It is presribed for non food producing animals such as dogs and cats. It is the ONLY antibiotic tested which displayed significant inhibition against the organisms cultured from dying corals.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
well my hopes didnt come true. STN has now started on my Milli colony that hasnt showed any signs in the past few weeks but now has it today. Ok i officially give up and out of ideas :( Thanks everyone who tried helping and giving me ideas.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I have no idea what im going to do. If i lost a whole tank in days i would have started over but this SLOW STNing is very painful to watch. Its like pulling a 1 foot long bandaid of a hairy leg rather then just pulling it off in one swoop.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Cali tort gone,sunset milli gone,unknown pink milli gone,oregon tort going,hulk monti gone,purple nana,unknown orange with green tips going,pink birdsnest going,rommels watermelon acro going,blue stag going,karls candlelight going,hawkins enchinada going,2 unknown acro going,red planet going,another unknown purple stag going and my big joe the coral colony going. This is my hell right now :( Not to mention around 10 acros frags that died that i was holding for a friend

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: