duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I was just going to wait iot out and let my SPS die since i couldnt figure it out but screw that i worked to hard for my growth so i took some corals out even if they had no STN and dipped didnt find anything on any of them but did notice this on 3 pieces that were STNing. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on now? I epoxied that hollow area and crazy glued the stn part.

Attachments

• red planet.JPG
    red planet.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 898

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
No AEFW i have dipped almost every ACRO in my tank besides a few thin skinned and encrusted corals. Yeah that hollow spot. thats where the STN started and when i took the red planet colony off just now thats what i found underneath. Im still thinking i got a bacterial infection from my friends stressed out corals when Sandy hit but still not sure. All his corals but 2 have stn and died in around a month and my are showing signs since about 2 weeks after introduction of the corals.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Duke IMO you should get the remaining SPS in buddies tanks for the time being. Why throw money away? You'll get past this.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I dont want to pass the bacterial infection on to someone else if it is a bacteria infection. I will hold off on being a collector and be a nurse if/when the corals recover. So far since last friday i have done a total of 75 gallon water change. Im dipping and gluing like crazy and soon my next resort will be fragging. If i see the coral really doing bad i will try and save a piece. I have done that to one coral so far a hairy acro which seems to be the hardest hit. I was holding 2 hairy acros for a friend which STNed first then my hairy acro was on the brink of death. Wonder why those acros got hit so hard?

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Sounds like bacterial to me too. Have you thought about trying to dip them in antibiotics? I have fish flex on hand which is amoxlin. Might be worth a shot. Let me know if you want some.

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
The speaker at LIRA did recommend that Duke. He said for acros, short dip 1-2 min. Poci and stylo can be a couple minutes more. I think he was referring to only the ones which are STNing. If you try this, post the results after a few days, I am very curious. Good luck.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Jim I've done hydrogen peroxide dips on many corals with no ill effects mostly to remove stuborn algaes like Bryopsis...give it a try on a few to see if it helps...just don't dip the smooth skin acros. Its an anticeptic that should only help if done correctly...There are a few threads on RC on the correct dosages..

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Jackson i run a cal reactor and im pretty stable. i did have a alk jump one day also but it wasnt an extreme jump. Didnt go out of reasonable range for alk. I had a couple of bad streaks in a 2 week span i can point it all to but this is what im thinking. Its just weird that my friends corals all got hit first then mine. A little to coinsedintal that most his corals STNed and died and now mine.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Damn Jimmy you are not having good luck w/ sps! At this point I think attempting some type of dip couldn't hurt..if it's already dying you might as well try to save it because odds are if you do nothing they're going to just die slowly anyway. Good luck brother.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
What is stn ? Is there any literature on here on coral disease i just want to know so when i have some corals i know what can happen to them. Good luck.

Slow tissue necrosis. It's when a stony coral loses tissue slowly, as opposed to RTN, which is rapid tissue necrosis. Not much is known about why either happens, and there's.............?!....... really a solution/cure.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: