fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
WHen I tried this it made my pumps cavitate like CRAZY! The UPS stores the juice as DC and converts it back to AC. The current is "dirty" IE: all over the place. A PC wouldn't notice the power fluctuation but pumps sure do. Make sure you have backup pumps if you have an AC pump plugged into one of these. After running 3.5 hours with dirty current I would expect that pump to be near failure.

FWIW you're much better off running a DC pump off of a battery. That's why only vortech and tunze offer battery backups of their pumps. A DC pump handles fluctuating current just fine as it's spinning in response to the amount of current.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
WHen I tried this it made my pumps cavitate like CRAZY! The UPS stores the juice as DC and converts it back to AC. The current is "dirty" IE: all over the place. A PC wouldn't notice the power fluctuation but pumps sure do. Make sure you have backup pumps if you have an AC pump plugged into one of these. After running 3.5 hours with dirty current I would expect that pump to be near failure.

FWIW you're much better off running a DC pump off of a battery. That's why only vortech and tunze offer battery backups of their pumps. A DC pump handles fluctuating current just fine as it's spinning in response to the amount of current.

:eek:I am so confused:eek:

Fritz, are you saying it is bad to run lets say eheim pumps on a UPS? I was going to go buy a coupe of UPS for my tanks. I don't feel that the little battery powered pumps will help me with the 2 6' tanks.
If I can safely use a UPS without killing my eheims.
Could you tell me if I got this right or wrong please!
I would like to run the 2 return pumps for the fowlr & reef on the first floor with a total of 145 watts between them. Do I multiply the wattage of both pumps by the hours that I would like the UPS to keep them going? Something like 145 X 3= 435 watts, so I would buy a UPS with a total 435 watts? Yes/NO
How does this actually work?
Thanks for the help folks!!!!!!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Awilda, what Fred is referring to is line voltage and how 'clean' it is. UPS units (cheap ones) don't 'condition' the voltage output. This can and will damage certain electrical appliances.

Line conditioning can be used to 'clean up' the voltage output. Read #2 here for a little explanation. It might serve to confuse things more, but at least you'll see the merit in investing in some better UPS.

swimmer

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I always heard the issue was not "dirty voltage" but it's the sine wave (frequency). AC power has a true sine wave and most UPS's convert DC to AC using a "modified sine wave" or "square sine wave" which pumps do not like.

the pumps will still run (for a while anyway), but you are damaging the pump and quite it's quite possibly a fire hazard.

They make "true sine wave UPS" but they are Big Bucks. You are better off using a Tunze or Vortech that can run on DC power

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: