RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Anemones in the wild dont eat full fish or even half a fish. They usually snag something that is floating by.

I only recommend feeding all the time if you have a new anemone that your are trying to build up.

Anemones are like a bag of water. If you put a peice of fish in a bag of water and it gets stuck in the bag and can come out. It will begin to rot.

Silversides have all different peices of bone and cartiledge in them. Your better off buy salmon.

Carpets can eat whole fish but they usually spit them out because they cant fully digest them.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
i use to feed Silverside 1 fish two times a week, i stop, she grow to big for my tank, 12" (150 Gal) now i feed MYSID SHRIMP , i will trade.

Attachments

• CIMG3599.jpg
    CIMG3599.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 102
  • CIMG3581.jpg
    CIMG3581.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 92

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
In the past when I kept nems I fed them pieces of silversides, shrimp, prawns, krill depending on size of the nems with no ill effects. They never deflated during or after feedings, and they never turned their insides out. Last btas I had (just before "Sandy") were small so all they got was mysis.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Anemones deflate for a couple reasons.

1. Waste removal - They are getting rid of things inside them. Not just food, dead zooxanthella. This is not a good sign it means that the anemone is stressed. No anemone should completely shrink down with it guts out after being established.

2. Releasing of eggs or sperm (self explanatory)

3. When they first get into a new tank this is normal. They are expelling old water and taking in your new water. If this happens alot something is amiss in the tank or the nem is sick.

Alot of times especially with bigger hosting anemones, haddoni gigantea mertens magnifica stress can be cause by corals. My mertens hate lps corals.

Corals like leathers and some lps are very territorial and as you have seen them send out sweepers. They also have a slime coating that they release to to stress out nearby corals and inverts. Alot of times thats why anemones walk around, they cant find a clean spot.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Anemones deflate for a couple reasons.

1. Waste removal - They are getting rid of things inside them. Not just food, dead zooxanthella. This is not a good sign it means that the anemone is stressed. No anemone should completely shrink down with it guts out after being established.

2. Releasing of eggs or sperm (self explanatory)

3. When they first get into a new tank this is normal. They are expelling old water and taking in your new water. If this happens alot something is amiss in the tank or the nem is sick.

Alot of times especially with bigger hosting anemones, haddoni gigantea mertens magnifica stress can be cause by corals. My mertens hate lps corals.

Corals like leathers and some lps are very territorial and as you have seen them send out sweepers. They also have a slime coating that they release to to stress out nearby corals and inverts. Alot of times thats why anemones walk around, they cant find a clean spot.

Now that is a real answer , thank u , wow!!

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Think about anemones in the wild they take whatever comes along.
They dont go to mcdonalds /opportunists is the word im looking for (poss wrong spelling)
They on acasions catch a fish with bone
I lost a blue tang to my big hadooni the nem survived
I try and feed bonless food that is soft and amount on the size of anemone
Salmon,Raw Shrimp,Anything high in protien
I dont soak in additives like selcon
I have mertens,giganteas,RBTA ,GBTA ,ritteri,purple lta

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
I feed all my anemones a small piece of raw tilapia every other day. The day after I feed them, they all let out the waste pretty much at the same time. I think they sense when one goes and then they all go. The next day I feed again. I've always done it this way and it works for me :)

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank New Life Spectrum Thera +A pellets. I feed over the anemone so it catches everything the fish miss.

In my old tank I fed raw shrimp and the anemones would deflate and split alot. After I stopped feeding shrimp they stopped splitting.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have kept every type of nem under LEDS t-5 and MH.

Magnificas id would suggest LEDS or MH, they prefer strong light and direct. One of the best ways to accomplish this is with a MH pendent or a LED Pendent.

I like AI AND ECO TECH LEDS, american companies who you can call in the US and the need to not replace bulbs and the lack of heat from the fixture its self.

You have to remember these animals dont recieve the correctly lighting for probably weeks after collection in the ocean. Light Acclimation with anemones is very important.

When you first get a nem, especially one that requires higher power lightening. You may need to acclimate it back to the lightening. LEDS come in hand cause you can adjust their overall power and keep your current light cycle.

tangy84

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have kept every type of nem under LEDS t-5 and MH.

Magnificas id would suggest LEDS or MH, they prefer strong light and direct. One of the best ways to accomplish this is with a MH pendent or a LED Pendent.

I like AI AND ECO TECH LEDS, american companies who you can call in the US and the need to not replace bulbs and the lack of heat from the fixture its self.

You have to remember these animals dont recieve the correctly lighting for probably weeks after collection in the ocean. Light Acclimation with anemones is very important.

When you first get a nem, especially one that requires higher power lightening. You may need to acclimate it back to the lightening. LEDS come in hand cause you can adjust their overall power and keep your current light cycle.

Never fed my magnefica anything. I had mine under LEDs and it was bleaching, but once it went under t5 it gained all the color back and it's been a pretty hardy nem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: