h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
He just being a wise guy 120g is nothing to be worried about small family weight more then that
Tell him straight out if the fish a such big problem u will move but he need to pay for your move and wait til you find a fish friendly place until then you staying here rent free you can't move my the in the winter so he just have to wait and you have a year to move , I'm sure that will turn him into a fish tank lover quick ,It's worth a shot

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
He just being a wise guy 120g is nothing to be worried about small family weight more then that
Tell him straight out if the fish a such big problem u will move but he need to pay for your move and wait til you find a fish friendly place until then you staying here rent free you can't move my the in the winter so he just have to wait and you have a year to move , I'm sure that will turn him into a fish tank lover quick ,It's worth a shot
unless you're planning to leave anyway, this is NOT the way to go! Landlord will definitely want you out, ASAP!

FWIW, a 120g tank would probably be over 1200 lbs in 8 sq. ft., PLUS the weight of the people standing there looking at it ...
what "small family" weighs anywhere NEAR that?

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0

.....And this is the mentality that creates bad tenant/landlord issues and reasons why the smarter landlords and rental agencies now screen people when doing rent applications. If you want the freedom of pets or installing big fishtanks there is always the option of buying your own home or condo apt, or finding a rental that allows it. The fishtank should have been cleared with the landlord, its actually not very nice to just go and install a couple hundred pound water container that has multiple liability issues tagged onto it in somewhere you don't actually own.

To clear up any bad information, he doesn't need to pay for your move and not paying rent will be a win for your landlord in getting you out of the apartment in court. He has every right to ask you to remove the tank if he see's fit. Its both a structural issue and a water damage liability. Like people said, if its structural you can always get a contractor to asses the structural limits of the floor or you can always compromise with a downgrade. Talk to him to see what he's worried about and then you will know how to proceed.

Last edited:

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
.....And this is the mentality that creates bad tenant/landlord issues and reasons why the smarter landlords and rental agencies now screen people when doing rent applications. If you want the freedom of pets or installing big fishtanks there is always the option of buying your own home or condo apt, or finding a rental that allows it. The fishtank should have been cleared with the landlord, its actually not very nice to just go and install a couple hundred pound water container that has multiple liability issues tagged onto it in somewhere you don't actually own.

To clear up any bad information, he doesn't need to pay for your move and not paying rent will be a win for your landlord in getting you out of the apartment in court. He has every right to ask you to remove the tank if he see's fit. Its both a structural issue and a water damage liability. Like people said, if its structural you can always get a contractor to asses the structural limits of the floor or you can always compromise with a downgrade. Talk to him to see what he's worried about and then you will know how to proceed.

+1

Just a note, if your landlord takes you to court it will show you in whatever background check your next Landlord will run to evaluate whether you are a viable tenant. Irregardless of whether you are in the right or not just because there is a record of residential court appearance can easily dissuade any land lord.

But back to your question. I would follow-up with a contractor/engineer to check the space out. This can appease the Landlord and will keep your relationship cordial. You never know maybe the contractor/engineer say "the structure is very sound and you can put up to a 250 gallon tank on the space with no issues." This can give you leeway for an upgrade :scratchch

Good luck

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
The way I see it you have 3 options.
1.You can move to keep your tank
2. get a much smaller tank
3. give him a headache and keep it which is asking for problems long term.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
+1

Just a note, if your landlord takes you to court it will show you in whatever background check your next Landlord will run to evaluate whether you are a viable tenant. Irregardless of whether you are in the right or not just because there is a record of residential court appearance can easily dissuade any land lord.

But back to your question. I would follow-up with a contractor/engineer to check the space out. This can appease the Landlord and will keep your relationship cordial. You never know maybe the contractor/engineer say "the structure is very sound and you can put up to a 250 gallon tank on the space with no issues." This can give you leeway for an upgrade :scratchch

Good luck

If the fact that you've been to court on a tenant/landlord issue showed up on a background check for a new apartment, then there would be many bad tenants out homeless. Do yourself a favor and address this matter with your landlord as a gentleman. I'm sure you will get good results.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not true. Fish can and have been considered pets in lease situations. It depends really on what happens or who the situation is handed to. Ask him
If you had someone qualified to give an assessment of the tank and building and it was deemed safe could you continue to keep the tank. If he says no ask him if its the size of the tank or having the tank itself. A downgrade could make both parties happy. S If not your out of luck. Tough but that's the reality.

Last time I rented was 20 years ago. Landlord say no pets. I told real estate that I had a fish tank. She told me that's not a pet. So I moved in never had problem. If it was of course a problem. I would of gotten rid of tank. But I was on basement level. You really should sale tank to me.

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
As a landlord myself, I would suggest talking to him and asking what his concerns are. If it is only the weight issue then ask if you could bring in an engineer to assess the load and support. If the tank leaking is his concern then there is no defense. If his opinion seems to be going no where, ask about a smaller tank option.

If your landlord is adamant about no tank, it's not worth the aggravation you both will go through when he exercises his right to enforce the lease agreement that states NO PETS. Remember he is allowing you to have your dog with no hassle "I'm assuming"when your lease agreement says no pets.

Break down your tank, let some time go by (6months) then ask his permission with the contingency of an engineers approval and maybe offer additional security deposit or a non-refundable pet fee.

A good Tenant/Landlord relationship a priceless existence that will open the opportunity for compromise on lease regulations.

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Last time I rented was 20 years ago. Landlord say no pets. I told real estate that I had a fish tank. She told me that's not a pet. So I moved in never had problem. If it was of course a problem. I would of gotten rid of tank. But I was on basement level. You really should sale tank to me.

No pets = No Fins, No Feathers, No Fur

Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I think your best option is talk to him and try to work it out. As a landlord he got all the right to be concern and your hobby will be more of a headache Try to come up to an agreement and if you not planing on moving think about downsizing or moving the tank. Will save you problems in the long run.

trinimaddness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
When your lease is up stay away from renting in private homes. Especially if that landlord lives in the building. They tend to get very "curious" as to what goes on in your apt. I'm currently moving and the broker told me no pets,I then ask if that includes fishes (I wouldn't have signed the lease if I couldn't have a tank) she said "fishes are ok just can't have anything that walks". Don't know if the same applies to you but you should try to resolve the problem with your landlord peacefully, you don't want to make enemies with someone you live with.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No pets = No Fins, No Feathers, No Fur
Not all the time...
So having a betta fish is breaking lease. It depends on the lease and the owner which should be respected. Lets use our common sense on this. Some worry about water damage and some worry about barking, biting, damage to apartment or house. What is said or not said on lease should use common sense of what the owner wants.

reefslife

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for everyone replies.. I will update here if anything... still thinking about what to do. +1, yes they will look this is an aquarium size of tank, because they are not in this hobby. 120G is nothing when they see a 180G or 240G... :(

Dannyboy11222

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I can almost bet you that it's not the whole pet or structure issue as much as its a money issue. I assuming your using an ro unit and you change a large volume of water at one time. So I betting he saw a higher than normal water & waste bill. So now it's costing the landlord more money. Unless your using bottled water I could and mite be wrong.

Wolf DOT

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Most people (not in the hobby) would think you're talking about a fish bowl/small tank... anything over 20g would probably 'freak' them out!

+ 1
I agree with Albano in the misconception that most people have. However let me clear up some bad information concerning leases.

1. The no pet clause is null and void --Tenants may keep pets in their apartments unless their lease specifically prohibits it. Landlords may be able to evict tenants who violate a lease provision prohibiting pets. In multiple dwellings in New York City and Westchester County, a no-pet lease clause is deemed waived where a tenant ?openly and notoriously? kept a pet for at least three months and the owner of the building or the owner?s agent had knowledge of this fact. However, this protection does not apply to public housing or where the animal causes damage, is a nuisance, or substantially interferes with other tenants. NYC Admin. Code ? 27-2009.1(b); Westchester County Laws, Chapter 694.

2. That being said, if your landLord was nice enough to allow you to have dogs and a tank in the first place, you shouldn't mess up your relationship with hIm by enforcing your rights.
It sounds as if someone or something changed his mind (possibly with bad or accurate info).

3. You need to speak to him and address his concerns on a civil level, and decide how to proceed based on how long you plan on living there and what kind of relationship you want going forward.

I personally have a great relationship with my landlord. Their love my 120 gallon. We both go why beyond our rights and responsibilities to help each other out and keep our landlord/tenant relationship great.
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: