jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It's not too hard. I kept a seahorse for about a year with a clown and royal gramma.
If I did it again would definitely have a seahorse only tank though

To keep them healthy good idea to try and feed at least 2 times/day (they don't have a stomach).

It's very doable and I'd love to have some again. Most personable tank mate I've ever had.. Almost cried when she died

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You can also try to get in touch with "George". He keeps/breeds seahorse in very large tanks with quite a few of them. Absolutely beautiful tanks....

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
You should set up a dedicated tank for seahorses as they cannot normally fend for themselves when it comes down to eating. Also within keeping a theme with them it is not recommended to put any types of coral that can sting.. ie. anything with tentacles/sweepers. Temps should be kept lower to keep them in good health as well... so a chiller would be recommended during the summer months.
If you are worried about limitations prior to... you can always try out a pipefish first to get yourself familiar with the similar needs... pipefish are generally hardier and requirements are not as bad as seahorses, however multiple feedings are also needed.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
You should set up a dedicated tank for seahorses as they cannot normally fend for themselves when it comes down to eating. Also within keeping a theme with them it is not recommended to put any types of coral that can sting.. ie. anything with tentacles/sweepers. Temps should be kept lower to keep them in good health as well... so a chiller would be recommended during the summer months.
If you are worried about limitations prior to... you can always try out a pipefish first to get yourself familiar with the similar needs... pipefish are generally hardier and requirements are not as bad as seahorses, however multiple feedings are also needed.

Good stuff skene !!! I am def gonna give them a dedicated tank but I want it to be unique to its natural environment without many corals if any to keep my seahorses in harmony , and in the summer my ac is always on as my wife is a teacher so she's always home so temps will be stable , and all info is greatly appreciated as this is all new to me !! And no it's not a tank for me lol my wife is a saltwater fan and loves the reef tanks but she wants a seahorse tank in the worse way and my son does too!!

Last edited:

ZephNYC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
dsc1104m.jpg

ZephNYC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice tank , what's the setup consist of??

Pretty standard, nothing fancy. 125 gallon display, 55 sump, drop in chiller, Aqua C skimmer. I do run ozone but not continuously. THis is just a seahorse play tank, but ive been putting NPS corals in it lately. Those dendronepthyeas have been in there just over 3 months.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: