evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Since Matt mentioned it in James thread.

It had me wondering if this was a good idea every, say, 6 months? Benefits or think this would help with issues like rtn/stn (what he mentioned the reason behind doing a huge WC)?

I have always kept up with 10-15% between 1-2weeks but I think it may make sense to do a full water change every 6months.

I just want to hear experience as I will apply this to my routine maintenance to see if there is any benefit or helps to deter such disasters.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
It sounds like a big mistake to me. Unless you have ALL the parameters exactly the same as the old water.Ive read from other threads a very large water change had a very positive effect on the coral. I think a 50% water change every 6 months is best. To do A 100% water change your going to Probably stir up your sandbed and Cause all the detritus to stir up and out of the sand bed and cause serious problems. That's just my opinion.

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
I would not do a 100% water change unless you have a true issue like a huge anem getting mashed up.

Not only the problems with the water parameters, I think that you may run into a problem with the tank going through a mini cycle. Figure you need to take the fish out, then your rock will be exposed to air while you are emptying and filling the tank. You for sure will have some bacteria die off. Not sure it is worth the risk.

Emergency YES, as standard procedure NO

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I wish I could get this guy dog boy dave from other forum to post his thoughts not saying he is right but certainly has different view on this and other topics if u look up his tank u would def listen to what he has to say !

But basicly he is a big believer inn100% wc any time things get outta whack and u can't figure out a problem obviously the wc needs to be done smart but his tank is proof enough for me if I had issue I'd try it

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I wish I could get this guy dog boy dave from other forum to post his thoughts not saying he is right but certainly has different view on this and other topics if u look up his tank u would def listen to what he has to say !

But basicly he is a big believer inn100% wc any time things get outta whack and u can't figure out a problem obviously the wc needs to be done smart but his tank is proof enough for me if I had issue I'd try it

I can see doing it if something is wrong like Rtn or stn and can't figure it out what's wrong but scared to do it for standard maintenance.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
If everything is fine i would not do 100%. It can be done if done the right way as already said. But you should stick to at least 20% water changes every 2 weeks to a month. I personally would not do a 100% water change ever, only if something is not right.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would not do a 100% water change unless you have a true issue like a huge anem getting mashed up.

You for sure will have some bacteria die off. Not sure it is worth the risk.

Emergency YES, as standard procedure NO

Think about it: The new water would always have slightly different parameters than the old. The salinity will be close, but not exact, the pH, the temp, all will be close, but never exact no matter how meticulous you are. This would kill off bacteria, which is the foundation of any filtration system.(i.e, that's why we cycle new tanks)

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
i should have said something like 75% as you mentioned you do not want detrius to kick up nor drastic water parameter changes. I dont see a huge water parameter change if you do weekly husbandry wc and dose to keep parameters in check.

I think most are probably right and should only be done if necessary and not as a routine thing.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
WRONG. It can be done and I have done it without issues. Think about it like this before everyone becomes a know it all and let's use some common sense. Let's say you are moving to a new location or upgrading. Your best bet instead of emptying all that old dirty water and sand is to just start fresh it's easier and beats transporting it. Anytime I have done a move or someone else is I always recommend using all new water. What about when you get a fish or coral from someone else's tank or a store? It's different water and you are putting it in different water. How is that different? It's NOT. It's the same thing. The key is to acclimate your livestock back in. The bacteria is in your rock not in your water so you will not lose any bacteria as long as your rock is submerged. What about at a frag swap? Or if someone rents a tank to be at an event. Ever see the show tanked? How can a tank be set up in 1 day with new water? It's called BACTERIA, simple as that. The frag tanks at shows don't even have rock so I would think it's just bacteria in a bottle they use. Maybe some vendors can chime in but common sense tells me that's what they do and yet everything lives for days. It must be MAGIC!

On another note would I say not doing any water changes and then doing just 1 100% every 6 months is a good idea? NO probably not, especially if you are not experienced and/or your system is not stable. Different systems have different levels of stabilization. A 1 year old tank is not even close to a 5 year old one. Some people don't do water changes at all just top off and dose. If you have a very stable system with a ton of bacteria and good filtration you can do that. That is something I would consider "Expert level" though and I would not recommend it for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Actually what you'll find at most frag swap the setup is basically a tank, lighting, protein skimmer and a power head for water movement. The water is usually freshly mixed, maybe the nigh or day before. They don't use or add any bacteria material, though some people do bring sand beds with them. The corals are then acclimated and the light slowly turned on. Since the corals aren't putting out much waste, though some may slime or die, they can easily get by in that type of setup for a day or two. The skimmer is the big thing, as it will pull out a lot of garbage. Similar with setup with fish and inverts, they'll be fine for a number of days before the water gets bad. It's not different then setting up a Quarantine tank without any biology filtration.

The big thing about doing large water changes, 100%, is that it can shock your biology system, which in a full shock tank can be a problem.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Totally disagree with above. If a system gets weekly or bio weekly % of water changes. It less stressful of coral going into a freshly mixed new tank. Such as you mention on frag show. Than a tank not having % water changes go to a new mix tank. Common sense will tell you which tank the water par is closer. Ph or Alk, Phosphate, salinity change will cause RTN or STN. People than wonder why the SPS are RTN. Some coral are stronger than others. Steady regular weekly or bio weekly maintance in long run is much better. If done no need for a 75% WC. Tank will be more balance of all Elements than a six month big water change.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
True.. the bacteria for filtration is in the rock and not in the water. However, doing a 100% water change will kill off some of it, thus creating a mini-cycle each time it's done. And in a large system with lots of rock and sand, this may only last for a few days or less. So there's probably no ill effects to the hardier corals and fish. At trade shows or event holding tanks, these animals are in there for a short period of time. These tanks are not stable. If left there for a few weeks, the tanks will cycle, since there is not enough bacteria to break down the large bio-load of animals placed in there at one time.

If the tank is stable and parameters are good, why do this at all, even every six months?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Water changes are annoying to me as it is... Have to find the time to do it twice a month 30%.... Heck no doing a 100% water change. Who has the time ??

Man you are a biuzzy guy.
I do two water changes a week 15gal on Wednesday and 15 gal on Saturday
With at combined time of 30 minets lol
If you don't have 30 minets a week to devot to your hobby I feel sorry for you and I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.

Slow down man life is to short lol ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: