james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Im finally getting my deep blue 150 tall build under way by having a custom stand and canopy built. My buddy that is building them for me asked me how I would like to hang my 48 inch 8bulb powermod in the canopy and I didnt know how to answer him. So I come to you for help.

I have never owned a big tank like this and never had a canopy. I would like the most possible room to work in the tank and cant have the heavy fixture in the way.

Are there any unique ways I could mount the fixture so I can adjust the distance from the water level to acclimate coral as well as work in the tank? The only solution I can think of is make the canopy very tall and have it mounted from the top as if it was mounted to the ceiling and raise it while doing maintenance. Or maybe have it on a slide out tray?

thanks

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
The ATI vent out the end of the fixture. You need to make sure that PLENTY of room is allowed for within the canopy for the fixture to properly exhaust the heat from the fixture. The hanging kit can be used within the canopy but you would need to allow for plenty of height to allow the canopy to be moved out of the way. An 8 bulb is A LOT of light and heat to lock up inside a canopy. Not saying it can't be done but....

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
my light used to be mounted in canopy, it was a pain to feed and i needed help to remove it for maintenance. when i got a new light, i removed the top part of canopy, installed doors on front for feeding, and hung light from ceiling. now i can remove the canopy myself. much easier this way.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I was planning on using 2 PC fans on the top to push air in, and 2 more on the side to push air out.

that might not be a bad idea, mount the light to the ceiling and have a topless canopy that just surrounds the suspended light. Seems like alot of work though.

no one typically mounts T5's in canopies?

earl123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have a 6 bulb 5 foot fixture hanging inside a canopy 6 foot long. It's a marineland stock canopy. there's a 6inch or so opening in the top all the way across. So what I did was build out of 2x4s a small brace, almost like an upside down U and put the screw mounts through that. I can adjust the light up and down from there and never messed with the actual canopy itself. The opening is towards the back of the fixture so there's room for me to put my hands in and mess with the tank. A little bit of a pain when I need to change bulbs but not that much of a problem

Gwiz3005

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have my 6 bulb ATI mounted inside of my canopy. I used the hanging kit and mounted/screwed it to the wood inside the canopy. It vents from above, but I also added a fan in the canopy. It has not been a problem since I mounted it about 8 months ago. I can remove it by myself to change bulbs, etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: