jcono

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have been keeping this area of my sump as a remote DSB, with low flow and no light, thinking it might reduce my nitrates. Not sure I'm getting the best use of it though. What are thoughts on adding a light and decent amount of flow- would I be better off?

It is about 10" X 12" section, water is 5" deep and sand bed is about 6".

Thanks for your input!
Jan

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 138

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
How long has it been set up like that? It doesn't seem to be doing anything :(

I'd take the bulk of the sand out, add a decent light (maybe a small LED light) and put some various macros in there...or mangroves.

jcono

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There are some bristle worms, nass snails in there- think I'm gonna take dubs' advice and get some macro going with a decent light for growth.. Hopefully I can get some pods going as well.

I always thought of it as a remote DSB, which I assumed ran best without critters, aside from a few snails and worms.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Under 5ppm is pretty good. Do you feel that your tank is not doing well? Do you have a phosphate issue? Any algae problems? Adding macros and a light would suck up more nitrates but I wouldn't mess with the sandbed since it has been like this for years (unless you remove most of it to free sulfuric gas). I don't see why you couldn't leave as is and throw a poof of cheato in there and a light.

Last edited:

Flushtown Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 75%
9   3   0
for a DSB you need ALOT critters. as many as you can get. The sand needs to be sifted constantly or the DSB is useless. You'll just be building a nitrate bomb. My DSB has tons of critters and is actually cleaner than my DT. If you remove it make sure all pumps are off and you remove all the sand and replace it with 1 or 2 inches of new sand or rinse the old sand with rodi water. If you had that there for a few years disturbing it will release alot of gunk.

Flushtown Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 75%
9   3   0
Under 5ppm is pretty good. Do you feel that your tank is not doing well? Do you have a phosphate issue? Any algae problems? Adding macros and a light would suck up more nitrates but I wouldn't mess with the sandbed since it has been like this for years (unless you remove most of it to free sulfuric gas). I don't see why you couldn't leave as is and throw a poof of cheato in there and a light.

Lol.. didn't see this post. What he said.

jcono

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I do have some algae- just did a good cleaning of sand in the tank as well as a decent size water change and removal of sediment from the bottom of the other sections of the sump, so that has probably lowered nitrates to their current level.

I can easily shut off flow to that section and remove all or part of the sandbed- then pop a light in there with a ball of chaeto and maybe some mangroves.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: