Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do ..had to go down the stairs into the basement....damn I'm old LOL

I must be Grandfather to you all...

Does anyone remember the ORIGINAL Ed's Tropical Aquarium on Plandome Road in Manhasset ? I'm talking early 1960's

Parents bought me my first tank there when I was about 5 or 6.

Was a 20 gallon high. My older teenage brother really took care of it for me but I picked out the fish and tank decorations.

One day I will start one up again. I just happen to stumble across this webpage and joined so that I could post about Ed's as it was a great childhood memory.

Enjoy, its a great hobby.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you type in 596 Plandome road Manhasset NY in Google and look at "Street View" it will bring up a picture of the small strip of stores on Plandome road where Ed's was located.
I don't know if 596 was the old address for Ed's but I got it by scrolling down the street till I found the approximate location.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE NY

Biggish. We're about the same age. I don't remember it because I grew up in the Bronx. So Boogie down boys who remembers the LFS on City Island Ave or off of Gun Hill and White Plains

Mike, I remember all above. The one on Gun Hill road was not to far from bowling alley. He had big Gold piranha. Last time I was there he's daughter was running pet shop.
White plains was a a big store and had one of biggest saltwater display tanks in 80's. Than Crazy Eddie's went there.
Albano, remember pet store on Central Ave on top of hill in pathmark mall. Not far from Charle's Brown. Soon you walk in 500 gallon tank. I believed two sisters owned it at one time. Saltwater tanks were all blue back ground with under gravel filters. Had red bellies and baby alligators.

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Since we're going down memory lane... Anyone remember the lfs on crossbay blvd, right before the bridge in Howard beach ?
It was a large stand alone store and was my first intro to saltwater aquariums over 30yrs ago

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Albano, remember pet store on Central Ave on top of hill in pathmark mall. Not far from Charle's Brown. Soon you walk in 500 gallon tank. I believed two sisters owned it at one time.

That was a good place for corals...but I don't remember the 'sisters'...
There was a very nice/clean LFS across from Curry Chevrolet that was owned by 2 'girlfriends' (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Mike, I remember all above. The one on Gun Hill road was not to far from bowling alley. He had big Gold piranha. Last time I was there he's daughter was running pet shop.

As a kid I used to bowl at Gun Hill Lanes and then hit that LFS. I was there in the early-mid 70's. Towards the end of my time there they were just beginning to introduce SW to their lineup.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah! resurrecting an old thread. I have fond memories of Ed's at Roosevelt Field. That was our first stop whenever we went to Roosevelt Field.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: