mu8st7ang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a 90 galling reef my current light consists of 2 400 Watt mh's with 2 t-5's I also added some LEDs. My question is should I dump the metal halides and t-5's and just go with l.e.d's or keep what I have. Any suggestions?

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
This can go either way depending on who responds to thread: most will endorse the lighting they use. Do you feel the t5/led give you same results as mh? Or vice versa?. That would be your starting point for an answer

vramirez209

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was looking to do the same switch, however money becomes and issue . I only have a 20 gallon but I was looking into the AQUARIUM VILLAGE fixture is very affordable. Does anyone have any comments on it ?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
reason behind it

- leds are cheaper to run (electricity bill)
- almost no heat
- and they last a long time (a good fixture will)

but to have the best led fixture you have to make sure you have all the spectrum colors to bring out the colors of your corals...

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Everyone has different setups and with each type looking to accomplish certain things. I opted for LEDs, got them at a great price after a trade show and will be cost effective
. I'm also not as into the corals as other,not to say I don't like them or wont have any, but not a huge priority for me. Goals can always change too, so for now the LEDs were the way to go for me

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You could easily replace the halides with equivalent LEDs at 200watts or less. It just depends on what you would want to spend on them. The good quality LEDs are going to cost a lot more than a lot of the cheap units but you'll have actual usable light and far less headaches with broken units or short lifespans.

LowezAkar24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.6%
35   2   0
LowezAkar24

I have a 90 galling reef my current light consists of 2 400 Watt mh's with 2 t-5's I also added some LEDs. My question is should I dump the metal halides and t-5's and just go with l.e.d's or keep what I have. Any suggestions?

www.fathomled.com
Call him up and have him give you a demo of his units. He can also take par measurement and show you an accurate reading of how much light is distributed in various parts of your tank.
I have a 90 Gallon tank as well.

cono

Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
jimmy is one of the only straight up guys to deal with .... his lights speak for themselves ... I have a 180 and wanted the best par readings and best spread for sps and softyies and he set up 3 over my tank and all I can say is WOWWWWWWWWWWW
also they have the best features cloud cover sunrise sunset and also the follow the lunar cycle if you like to have moonlights on

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: